Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retdguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2005, 02:15 PM
    Can't reinstall XP - computer powers off
    OK, I either made a major mistake, or I have a hardware problem, maybe. I have reformatted my hard drive using a WINME startup disk. After fdisk, there are two partitions, P1 is active, assigned type NTFS, status of "A", 38gig, system is blank, 100% usage. P2 is labeled "C", no status, type is PRI DOS, 8meg, system is FAT 12, usage 0. Neither partition has a label.

I insert the XP disk into the CD and boot from the CD. XP examines the hardware config. loads various drivers, starts windows, gives me a screen with three options, and powers off before I can read the three options.

I have tried all the possible combinations outlined in the first paragraph, all with the same result outlined in the second paragraph. I have not gone to Microsoft.

Any ideas anyone?

Thank You.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2005, 04:18 AM
    I'm a curious about the partitioning. Might be an idea to delete all the partitions, create just one primary NTFS partition and start again. From what I can see you have a drive labelled C that is just 8MB big?! That can't be right.
    lastshooter Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2005, 02:48 AM
    Check ram
    You might have a bad ram module, try reseating or switching if your using DDR and/or try using each module by its self.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstall/Reinstall... [ 2 Answers ]

First I install Coreldraw GS 12 the I decided to update it to Corel X3 but my PC begun to slow then I uninstalled the X3 and try to reinstall the CGS 12 but it won't let me it saz error in applying... :confused:

Can't reinstall Windows 98 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop. When I attempt to reinstall it says that it can't continue because there is a previous install still on the computer. I think the info might have gone onto my D drive and I don't know how to do a complete cleaning of...

Format And Reinstall Xp [ 4 Answers ]

I reinstalled xp because of a virse I got rid of but didn't know how to format my drive some things don't work right but it works slow now how do I format c drive and reinstall xp Thanka Tom

Reinstall/Repartition Win XP [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 80GB external HD. I want to copy over the complete contents of my internal HD, and then reinstall and repartition Win XP Pro. I have the Win XP CD. Can someone explain the steps I would take? I understand that I can't just copy or cut and paste my original HD contents over to the...

Reinstall [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi I need to know how I can re install comm.drv as I try to d/l games and a window pops up saying this is missing and needs to be re installed hope you can help thanks... >:(

View more questions Search