Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerrycurl44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Student Loans
    I have Canadian/Ontario Student loans that have been "sold" to debt collection agencies. I had somenegative experience with them (they were really rude when I wasn't paying) so I stopped taking their phone calls. Now they are threatening legal action. What is the statue of Limitations on this kind of loan in Ontario, and are they seriously going to take me to court or are they just trying to scare me into paying?
    Nat:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Not sure about Canada, but in the US student loans don't have an SOL. I would take seriously their plan to take you to court.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrycurl44
    I have Canadian/Ontario Student loans that have been "sold" to debt collection agencies. I had somenegative experience with them (they were really rude when I wasn't paying) so I stopped taking their phone calls. Now they are threatening legal action. What is the statue of Limitations on this kind of loan in Ontario, and are they seriously going to take me to court or are they just trying to scare me into paying?
    Nat:confused:
    There is no SOL on an Ontario Student Loan under the Limitations Act or the Interpretations Act. A Canada Student Loan has a six year limitation period with serveral caveats. See the Canada Student Loan Act and the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act (the last section of each act deals with limitations). A collection agency does not buy student loan debt. They act as agents for the creditor either the gov't or the bank. They must have the creditors permission to sue. Most student loan lenders have ombudsman to handle complaints. CA have an ombudman to handle complaints. Do not deal with an individual collector... go up the line until you find someone willing to exercise common sense. The fact that you are in debt is not a license to be abused. If you are being harassed or verbally abused, hang up. Talk to CA on your terms not theirs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loans [ 14 Answers ]

I plan to move out of my parents house at the onset of this June. I plan to have a job by the end of June until mid August when I will relocate again to campus which I will attend for the next four years. I intend to enroll full time. Is there a way that I can do all this and get a loan for $20000...

US Student loans in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I am a US citizen, Canadian resident and because of living here I have lost my license to practice my profession in the US. So, I am thinking of stopping to pay my student loans. What can the US creditors do to me here in Canada? How can I protect myself? I am married to a Canadian and all our...

Student loans [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a student loan that has been in collection for a few years. He is VERY irresponsible with money, and has not made much headway in paying it off. Does anyone know if a student loan can be cancelled after a certain amount of years, or would he have to file for bankruptcy to get rid of...

Getting student loans [ 2 Answers ]

I would be glad if someone can guide me through places/ organisations/ banks that offer student loans to international students without having the need to get it co-signed by a US citizen or greencardholder.

Student loans [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to file bankruptcy on student loans?

View more questions Search