Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benandren Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 10:57 PM
    Water flows freely at night, but stops entirely during the day
    I live in Africa, so my situation may be a little different than most, but the same laws of nature apply here, so maybe someone can help.
    I live on the 2nd floor of a 3-story building. We have a water tank on our roof which supplies water for the building. A pipe comes out of the tank, then forms a T. To the left, water flows through a pipe down the south side of the building to all of the indoor plumbing. To the right, water flows down the west side to our two swamp coolers. There are no problems with the pipe on the left, but the pipe on the right side of that T is where there are problems. During the day, water stops flowing through that pipe. At night, it begins to flow again. I was thinking something along the lines of an air lock, but I haven't read anything that explains why it comes and goes so regularly.
    I suspect it might have something to to with the temperature of the pipes. I live in a very hot climate, so during the day, the pipes (they are plastic) get very hot, especially in the afternoon (the pipes in question are on the west side of the building, exposed directly to the sun). At night, the pipes cool off a bit. Can anyone explain why this change of temperature would cause the water to stop completely during the day, then flow freely at night? Or is there another explanation? Thanks for any advice.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 06:12 AM
    If not some Heat thing, then may be a valve turned off. Either electrically with timer, or photocell, or even manually.
    Don't know if something in pipe that is buoyant, And when lot of water during the day, plugs up at bottom, Non use allows it to float up ? This would be strange.
    I would have someone(plumber?) maybe. Shut off water, cut out 90 degree turn going into building. Turn on water momentarily to clear out any obstructions. Maybe even blow
    Out from other direction also. Reconnect. Good Luck
    benandren Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 07:09 AM
    I should have mentioned this in my initial question, but I have already checked the valves. There is no eletrical or other kind of timer hooked up to this system. It is very basic. I have narrowed the problem down to the pipes themselves, between the valve at the top, and the coolers at the bottom. Basically, there is something in the pipes, but what? Dirt? Air? Whatever it is, it only blocks the water flow during the day.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2007, 07:11 AM
    If this were my call the first thing I would want to ascertain is exactly where the cut off point is. Unless you have a electronic valve on a timer that feeds the cooler you have pressure up to the cooler in the daytime. You can disconnect the cooler feed to check and find out. This puts the problem squarely on the metering devices in the coolers. Has anyone opened them up to check?
    Regards, Tom
    Sorry, I was posting when your additional post came through. You have opened up the feed to the coolers to make sure that the pipes are open, or closed up, in the daytime haven't you? What valve on top? This is the first time a valve's mentioned. What does it close off. One or both feeds? Any more surprises?
    If the pipe allows water to pass in the evening and not in the daytime then you may have the same problem with your pipe that we have here in Florida with our AC condensate lines. Because water's metered out of the line that means it sets in there until called for. This allows a bacteria growth like jelly to groiw inside the pipe. This jelly could expand durning the heat of the day and contract durning the nigh to allow water to pass.
    The solution is to blow the line out with compressed air or high pressure water to clear the line. We then seal off the line and losd it up with bleach to kill off any bacteria that's left.
    I offer this another option, let me know if it works. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older Night and Day A/C will not turn off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older model Night & Day brand Central Air Conditioner unit. The compressor is outside and the blower in inside. When I plug it in (the electrical outlet is in the closet with the blower unit) the fan will immediately come on. This unit is also the gas heater for winter. I can adjust the...

York Furnace stops heating during the day? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my story I have a York furnace and a Honeywell thermostat. I've run into a situation where either I don't know how to use a thermostat( its electronic) or something is wrong with my furnace. Previously, I would set my temperature on the thermostat and keep it on Auto. From there, the...

Day & night not igniting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Day & night furnace and I can't get it to lite. It has a lockout module and the wiring is messed up. I need to know how this system works, how does it lite and what makes the blower go on after the burner lites

Day and Night [ 2 Answers ]

Help, I just bought a home in July 2006, the home is built 1976. It has a 3 ton Say and night unit, I had it serviced in September for the cold weather. The Tech found a 2" X 8" crack in the heat exchange. I have home warranty but they refuse to fix it. HSA would not recommend them to anyone. I...

Day & night creams? [ 1 Answers ]

Have you found any that are really good? I recently tried Avon and it was very smelly once on. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search