Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    McNuggy@LMC Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2007, 07:16 PM
    SATA To IDE.. Cable problem?
    Hi I have just bought a new computer and want to use my existing hdd as a slave to the new hdd.

The problem is that the new mboard are SATA connectors and there is no ide
    Pin/plug thingy on the back of the new hdd.

This makes me think I have to run the new hdd as pirmary master and the old hdd as a secondary slave (to the DVD drive on ide2).

Is that correct? And if I can is there an adaptor pulg/connector for ide to ata/sata?

Thanks
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 7, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Your cdrom drive should be IDE right? Then you can connect the old hard drive as a slave on the cdrom IDE cable.

Or, you could buy one of them external hard drive enclosures, and make the old hard drive an external one, connecting via USB (or firewire depending on model).
    McNuggy@LMC Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Jul 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Like it says... cheers buddy, I forgot I had to run it as a slave on the ide2 channel. Duh :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IDE HDD 3.5" external [ 4 Answers ]

I have an external HDD for storing movies, I think I must have two sections ( or more) to my HDD since when I go to load a movie it tells me that it is already there... but I cannot find it. Sometimes the drive letter changes on it own. And also I cannot get the movie. Can some one tell me...

Cable Modem / IP settings problem [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Perhaps someone wouldn't mind assisting me. My problem is that my internet has quit working on my computer. It worked fine until I unplugged the ethernet cable from it and then after that it was always "acquiring network address" then it says "Limited or no connectivity" My modem is...

USB to IDE Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, recently my computer's power supply went bust and so after a series of problems with it I have given up and instead now use the laptop I own. I had 2 hard drives within my Computer. One a Western Digital WD800 and the other a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB hard Drive. I didn't want to loose...

Sata cannot boot when IDE is present [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a problem with my new sata HDD. I install the winxp sp2 into the sata (with F6 etc for the raid). Everything are working normaly, but when I'm trying to install an ide HDD the sata is not appearing and is trying to boot from the ide. The bios doesn't see at all the sata hdd. My...

IDE Devices [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm planning on getting a new hard drive but I'm not sure if I'll have room for it in my PC. I'm not great with hardware so excuse me if I get some info wrong here. At the moment I have 4 IDE drives. 2 CD drives - one master, one slave, a hard drive (master) and a Zip drive (slave). ...

View more questions Search