Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samiam87 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jun 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Trouble feeding my dog, recently severely dehydrated
    Hello, my dog was recently was severely dehydrated, to the point where she could barely hold herself up at times. My family and I thought she was done for for awhile, but she is still pulling through. My problem is that she barely has eaten anything, and it's been a hassle with the little she has eaten. It's been like this for the past 3 days. What should I do?

Any help very appreciated.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jun 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Have you tried wet dog food. When ever I feel my dog isn't eating enough or need a more moisture in her diet I give her some wet dog food. If it has been going on for 3 days though you might want to take her to the vet or at least call the vet and see what they say.

Jun 19, 2007, 10:37 PM
    No not yet, just some hot dogs and moist beef. What kind of wet dog food should I try? I would go to the vet, but we can't afford it right now. I tried to urge my family but it won't just happen.

But thank you for your help.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jun 19, 2007, 11:33 PM
    No recipe just cook the rice per directions and boil the chicken till it's done 180 degrees I believe. Add chicken and rice together more rice than chicken add enough cottage cheese to coat and serve.

Jun 19, 2007, 11:50 PM
    Thanks you guys. I was wondering what you guys think about this wet dog food I just got: Pedigree with chicken and rice. I was thinking about giving it to her.

Jun 20, 2007, 12:16 AM
    OK I'll try that. Thanks again.

So should I mix the rice with the dog food or just try the rice?

Jun 20, 2007, 12:28 AM
    OK thans again, I'm very grateful for all the help.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 20, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Hot dogs are not safe to feed dogs.Pork will cause pancreatitis,which will kill her.Try a mild can food(hill's AD,canned)Most animals love the taste of this food,which is sold at most vets.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Tempting a sick dog with rich food is nearly always the wrong thing to do. Your dog isn't going to die from not eating for a few days. It may die from whatever is causing it not to eat. It may or may not recover without treatment from a vet.

The dehydration is a much more severe symptom. If she is again drinking, it may mean she is recovering. If so, you are better off forgetting all the above, and continuing to make her regular chow available. Sudden changes in diet can lead to digestive upsets.

I would really like to see a vet visit. If you just can't change anybody's mind on that, you are better off not doing things that may cause more harm than good. You might read through the ''My dog won't eat'' sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 It is mostly about sorting out a sick and an over fed dog. Over feeding a dog is a serious problem proven to create health problems and shorten dogs' lives.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
    How did you know the dog was dehydrated?There are foods that can cause pets to have kidney and liver damage.The artificial color and ingredients can do harm to her pancreas.The hill's canned AD is mild and will not shock her system.the vet's I worked for used this when the animal refuse everything.They gave it to a cat after intestinal surgery,that had a blockage removed.the cat did great.The vet will tell you how to stimulate your dog's apetite.

Jun 20, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Thank you fir all your help, but we decided to end her pain today. We put her to sleep and now she's in a better place.

Thank you guys again.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 07:27 PM
    That is always a painful decision, but sometimes the best. We may have disagreed on what was best for your dog, but will all support you now.
    askaway123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samiam87 View Post
    Thank you fir all your help, but we decided to end her pain today. We put her to sleep and now she's in a better place.

Thank you guys again.
    You couldn't afford a basic vet check-up, but you could afford to kill it (costing several times more)? Something smells of a troll here. If this was a legitimate thread, I would send my condolences, but it sure smells like fishy forum trolls.
    askaway123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2008, 09:44 PM

For anyone who is serious and finds this thread, steps you can take:
    1) Vet, of course. If you won't pay the vet, then...
    2) Small half cup of water every hour. If they won't eat that, try tossing an ice cube in the air (like a treat) and see if they'll munch on it. Repeat.
    3) Rice, chicken, steak, beef, and similar contain a small bit of water-- and can help.
    4) Try mixing a little food (steak, dog bones, etc.) with water, making a soup of sorts.
    5) If you haven't decided to go to the vet at this point and the dog is still ill later in the day, reconsider it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Trouble [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small dog who is about 9 years old and he urintaes in the house only at night, he has plenty of opportunity to go outside but for some reason every morning there it is. Help?

Dog feeding equipment [ 1 Answers ]

Should I be washing the dogs bowls, plates, and forks separate to mine? With a separate pair of washing up rubber gloves and a separate wash cloth because of a danger I or my young son could get sick from germs on her bowls etc, or is it OK? What do you do about this?

Feeding ground flax seeds to my little dog.opinions? [ 11 Answers ]

I rescued a little dog (Pomeranian/Yorkshire Terrier mix) who has unfortunately has "eating disorders", but I have been working with her over the years, to find food that agrees with her - does not cause her digestive problems etc. As she sometimes has a hard stool, I have found that mixing just...

Severely depressed and borderline suicidal [ 22 Answers ]

I've had a horrible life, and I know because a lot of things confirm it, it would take too long to list the horrible things or things of confirmation. I'm severely depressed, and not far at all from killing myself. I feel like I need a relationship to survive, and every time I put myself out...

Recently spayed dog barely eating.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5 year old dog (pic below) which was spayed almost 6 days ago. She barely drinks or eats anything at all. She just nibbles a few small bites of food and then just leaves it. The dog had a very healthy appetite before this... eating about (2) 16oz cans of food, and a bowl of dry...

View more questions Search