Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jle191 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2005, 12:11 PM
    Flush lever on toilet broke
    When I went to flush my toilet my flush lever broke right off. The part that connects it to the flush valve is still attached, it is just the handle that snapped right off.
    I noticed that these parts are VERY inexpensive. My question is, how easy are they to replace? I would hate to call somebody if it is something very simple, and I would LOVE to fix it before my husband comes home!

TIA for any help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2005, 12:26 PM
    What is left is likely held on by a set screw. If you can get the screw to turn, it should come right off. Then a quick trip to the hardware store with the old one should fix it. Might do better to unhook the lever inside, unscrew the nut holding the whole works to the tank and take it all to the hardware store.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 13, 2005, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jle191
    When I went to flush my toilet my flush lever broke right off. The part that connects it to the flush valve is still attached, it is just the handle that snapped right off.
    I noticed that these parts are VERY inexpensive. My question is, how easy are they to replace? I would hate to call somebody if it is something very simple, and I would LOVE to fix it before my husband comes home!

TIA for any help!
    The flush lever's secured by a nylon nut on the inside of the tank. BE ADVISED: THIS NUT IS A LEFT HAND THREAD. If you attempt to loosen it the regular way you will be tightening it. They are very easy to replace. Just remember to give the linkage 1/4" of play when the flapper's seated. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush completely [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I had just found this forum and this is my first post. My elderly parents live in a 2 story old home with two bathrooms, one on each floor. The toilet on the ground level flushes fine. The one upstairs will not flush solids without filling up a bucket of water and emptying it in the toilet....

Toilet flush [ 17 Answers ]

I flushed the toilet, the water goes down from the tank, but it swirls around and around in the toilet bowl but does not flush. What is the problem. Help.

Toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced all the insides of my toilet, now when I flush I have to hold the handle down until all the water runs out of the bowl. If not almost as soon as I let the handle go the flapper will cover up the hole that drains the water into the bowl. I know this is easily fixable, but I don't...

Toilet Won't flush properly [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a 1998 Double Wide Manufactured Home. There are two toilets in the house on opposite ends. The one off the Master Bedroom works fine, but the other toilet will not flush properly. It will work for a couple of days without any problems and then it starts clogging and when...

Brand new toilet won't flush... [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone can tell me what else to try. I am redoing a bathroom in a 50 year cabin. The old toilet flushed strong, but there was a "gurgling" in the other drains. When I removed the old toilet I replaced the flange. The old flange had 3" pvc inserted into the 4" cast drain with some...

View more questions Search