Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Navarre Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Powering Off Problem
    Hi,
    I was having some problems that resulted in my computer automatically re-starting at every startup. It would get as far as almost completely having finished and then re-start at which XP would do its diognostic and 'fix' various things and then start. I looked at the syatem error log and discovered that I had 'profile unloading' issues whenever I shutdown. So I installed UHPclean and looking at the System Error Log that seems to have done the job, however, ironically I have a 'shutdown' related problem! It hangs/freezes at the 'saving your settings' bit and I have to turn my computer off by holding the on/off button on my PC. I guessed that actually the operating system itself had completely finished the shutdown process apart from the very last bit of 'powering' the PC off because when I start the computer back up it starts up normally (i.e. it doesn't go through the diagnostic part that it normally does if the shutdown if you follow.
    I did loads of research into this but am getting really confussed as to what I should do.
    I believe I have an ACPI enabled computer (Device Manager>Computer>ACPI Uniprocessor PC). Power Options lists UPS as 'The UPS service is currently stopped', with the yellow triangle. I'm running Windows XP SP2.
    I did have a power cut the other day which seemed to have triggered the whole thing (but obviously don't know if that's just a coincidence).
    Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    raj_pasumarthi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Hi,

Have u updated the service pack 2.Hope this will work

Jun 22, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Hi Raj,
    Thanks for your time. I have Windows auto-update on and update regularly and before posting I even visited the windows update site to check for all available updates but I am 'up to date', if that's what you mean.

Thanks,
    Navarre
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 07:17 AM
    I had a similar problem but mine was caused by a software setting that made the PC turn itself off after 10min, I don't know if that is similar but when your PC startsup again try and restore it or change back any changes made before the problem started...

Jul 2, 2007, 01:15 AM
    Hi,

After having to re-install everything again from scratch (using my XP Restore CD) I have discovered that my problem happened every time after I installed Norton Antivirus. I now don't have it installed and everything was fine until I installed AVG Antivirus. The problem is nowhere near as severe as before though as now my PC 'only' automatically restarts after every scheduled scan by AVG (upon which theXP diagnostic finds nothing and once restarted I get the 'recovered from a serious system error' message (Event ID 1003) and curriously the 'same' two temporary files being the same problem as before (~~ WER1edc.dir00\Mini070207.01.dmp and ~~ WERedc.dir00\sysdata.xml). Anybody any ideas what happening here?

Cheers,
    Navarre
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Open AVG Control Center

Click on update manager, three buttons will appear. Click the Properties button.

Select the Update upon next computer restart... option

I hope this solves the problem of your computer restarting after an update!! Confirm whether this helped ;)

Jul 2, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    Open AVG Control Center

Click on update manager, three buttons will appear. Click the Properties button.

Select the Update upon next computer restart.... option

I hope this solves the problem of your computer restarting after an update!!! Confirm whether this helped ;)

Thanks for this Ben11 but my version of AVG (AVG FREE) doesn't have this option. It merely only allows me to assign a daily time to do it or turn it off all together (for both the scans and the updates).

Thanks anyway.
    Regards,
    Navarre
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 07:24 AM
    But my version is also AVG free!
    laffingravy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 10:21 PM
    More than likely your antivirus software is causing the problem. When you uninstall Norton Antivirus, a few files will linger on your computer and can haunt you. I recommend that you go to Search and type in "Norton" and delete any remaining files. Now Search for files named "Symantec" and repeat. That should fix your problem, but if not, give this a try... go to Control panel>System>Advanced>Start up and Recovery> Settings>System Failure. The "Automaticaly restart" option should be checked (enabled) by default. If not, check it, if it is checked, uncheck it and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

Computer not powering off or booting up [ 3 Answers ]

The led light are flashning but PC not booting or powering off need help on what to check .first thanks guys . All I can tell adout the specs are it has a M7VIG 400 mother board , KVR 333 mem / 256

1995 Altima Idleing problem Knock & O2 sensor, EGR Flow Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1995 Nissan Altima with 67,000 miles. When the car is idleing when I start it or when it is at a red light the rpm's go from 6000 to 9000. It sounds like I am reving the engine. The engine sounds fine when I am driving the car ( rpm's are consitent). I went to AutoZone the read out errors...

Powering the G terminal on my furnace control board [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My furnace's control board recently blew and the repair guy replaced it with a different kind. Aparently the new board requires a wire from the thermostat to the G terminal to work the A/C fan, and the old one didn't. The repair guy would need to make another trip for this repair. I am...

View more questions Search