Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowpixxi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Can property damage charges be dismissed if landlord tries overcharging you?
    I received a bill from an apartment complex I used to live in for $910.74 for carpet damages caused by a pet.

the original bill they sent me stated they were charging $1060.74 against my $150 deposit due to Carpet charges:
    ($1586.67/60 ms (life of carpet) = 26.44x37 ms of life= $978.28) plus my final water bill.

Since the carpet had been steamcleaned one week prior to moving, I didn't believe they replaced the carpet and requested proof.

In turn they sent me a copy of a receipt for carpet replace in the amount of $1294.07 and an adjusted bill for $887.97
    ($785.51 + $20 Enzyme treatment (which had already been included with carpet replacment) + my waterbill)
    They did not deduct my deposit and made an attempt to double charge me for a service the carpet company had already provided and charged for.

I'm just wondering if there is anyway I can take them to court over this to get the entire bill dropped for falsifying information and attempting to illegally keep the secerity deposit? I should probably also mention, I live in FL.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowpixxi
    I'm just wondering if there is anyway I can take them to court over this to get the entire bill dropped
    Hello snow:

Sure. Small claims court is cheap, quick and easy. Will you get the whole thing dropped?? Probably not, but you won't be overcharged either - assuming you win, and I don't see a reason why you wouldn't.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2007, 10:39 AM
    No, especially with small claims court, the idea is to find an equitable solution for both parties. So whether they deliberately falsified the bill or not, is not going to get you completely off the hook. You will be responsible for whatever charges they can prove. And if they have a receipt that shows the carpet was replaced you will have to pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can landlord take money from deposit to cover damage to other's property [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the ability of a landlord to take money from his tenant's deposit. I live in California. A neighbor who rents, had a party in the building. One of his guests damaged my property which was located, with permission, in a common area of the building. The...

Juveniles charges with criminal damage in second degree [ 4 Answers ]

Two juveniles were charged with criminal damage in the second degree. They have already paid restitution for the damages they did and we have to go to court in couple of weeks. They have never been in trouble until this incident. I'm a little concerned about what will happen to them. I know the...

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

Little help please - criminal damage to property [ 8 Answers ]

If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner,...

View more questions Search