Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarabanks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Divorce who is responsible for the car payment
    My husband was married before and before there divorce they had bought a car together. My husband has been making the car payments for about 3 years now which she drives around with and I looked at the divorce decree and there is no mention of the car payment it just says that either party is responsible of their own debts. The loan is in both of their names. Should he still be making the payments. My husband pays a lot in child support and alimony
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Does it not say anything about division of property? Like with the house (if there was one) - there should be something - somewhere in the papers about the car. Does he no longer want to pay for the car? How much longer does he have to pay?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jun 13, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Is he happy to pay it? It might have been something they discussed, does she use it to drive their kids around? Have you asked him about it? By rights yes he should be making the payments, because if he doesn't, and she doesn't either, he can still be made to pay it (as can she, if she has enough income to pay it, but they will probably go after him because he has been paying it so far!) Is it worth him risking bad credit and debt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12 days over car payment and they already threaten reposession [ 1 Answers ]

I have a car loan with a company in FL and I'm curently living in UT. We have always paid our bill ontime due on the 14th. Consistently every month 5 days before the due date they call and pester us about sending in a payment. On the 1st of this month we said we are paying the $6000 we have...

Got a car repo 3 weeks before first payment is due [ 8 Answers ]

Can Someone Help Me Out I Am In California And I Do Not Know My Rights, I Was Supposed To Pay The Registration Fees On The 23 On Feb. 2007 And I Cam In On 28 Of Feb. 2007 To Give Them A Third Of The 412 Dollars I Owed They Said I Could Pay The Rest Of It Along With My First Car Payent On March 28,...

Refinance and payment to divorce party [ 1 Answers ]

If two people divorce and one name is taken off the deed but not the mortgage can the othet party refinance the house and the other party not be informed or not bought out? The mediation says the person that got the house is responsible for the house and has to sell or refinance to buy the other...

Car payment [ 1 Answers ]

Can they take my car away if I don't make a payment?

View more questions Search