Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Selah Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Placing Ceramic tile over vinyl
    Can you lay ceramic tile over a vinyl floor? If so what's the process?:D
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Jun 13, 2007, 05:35 AM
    I certainly wouldn't. You DO NOT know what the sub-floor construction is. If you insist upon doing this (without knowing subfloor) install 1/4" hard-backer, nailed/screwed every 6". CAUTION; when cutting hardi-backer, wear a good mask. If you do not use the hardi-backer, scribe the vinyl, but there is no guarantees this will be a good installation as the vinyl may not be glued securely... many,many problems can arise from your suggested process.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 13, 2007, 04:08 PM
    I Will Agree With Pergammano, I Also Wouldn't Advise This Method , However Ive Seen It Done Before, And Ive Also Done It. First Makes Sure You Get Out All The Squiks Out Of The Floor, Second You'll Need To Sand You Floor To Get Rid Of The Gloss That's On There, Just A Little Sanding To Get The Shine Off Lets Say. After This You Can Lay The Tile, Use Thinset Mortar, 1/4 Trial,
    Now As Far As How The Floor Has Been Laid , If The Viynl Was A Perimater Glue, Which Is Just On The Edges, Id Say Not To Do This At All. Use Backer Board, If The Floor Was Glued All The Way, You'll Probably Be Fine, Do Keep End Mind Is You Do Have Problems There Will Be No Warranty On The Floor Just Because Of The Installation Process. So Its All On You.
    Here's My Experience With This, I Did This In My Own House Just To See How It Would Work, Its Been Down For Over 5yrs, With No Problems , No Cracks Joints, No Broke Tile.this Is In 2 Baths,
    So My Advise Is Not To Do This For A Customer Or A Friend, Lol, If Its Your Home Try It And If It Doesn't Work Its Only You That Mad.
    Good Luck

Jun 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
    Okay, my concern is that I don't know if the vinyl flooring in my bathroom has any asbestos content. My home inspector indicated that it is highly unlikely, but of course he could not guarantee this. So the suggestion was just to cover the floor. There arer several areas of the floor that were previously broken off and there are parts that seem to be slowly coming up on it's own. My next question would be what's the easiest way to remove both the glue and vinyl flooring before laying the hardi backer board.

Jun 14, 2007, 12:09 AM
    I noticed that several people have indicated that you can identify some asbestos tiles by their size. Were the tile with asbestos only made in certain sizes? My house was built in 1954. The bathrooms and kitches have the original full sheet vinyl flooring on them. Would this mean that the tile did not have asbestos in it?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Lets Scratch The Tile Over Viynl Floor. I Didn't Know Your House Was That Old, Your Floor Most Likely Has A lot Of Sqeaks, And Humps In The Floor.
    It Would Just Cause Cracks And Broke Tile.
    So You'll Have To Lay Backer Board Down, And Go With 1/2, This Will Help With Movement Of The Subfloor. As For Pulling Up The Viynl, Id Just Leave It. If You Don't Know If It Has Asbestos In It.leave It Alone, If You Call An Asbestos Company To Remove It. Your Talking A lot Of Money, The Way Asbesos Hurts You Is By Breathing It In, So No Sanding, Scraping, Or Chiseling Of Any Kind. No Sawing Either.
    cbusguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Actually, all you need to do is, find the floor joists, and screw the old vinyl and underlay down every 6 inches on each joist to secure the old underlayment down as if it were subfloor. This is so you do not disturb any asbestos by tearing out the old, and anchoring down securely solid. You should make sure there is no squeeks in this process. Now just underlay,preferbly with hardybacker, and if your floor is pretty well level, go with quarter inch. Make sure to use the hardybacker screws since you are going through vinyl. If no vinyl you could nail down with ring shank nails. This method should be all it takes and should hold up fine for this project.
    cbusguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 02:20 PM
    No reason to sand or scribe the vinyl. If you are sanding or scribing the floor, you might as well pull it up. The finish on the vinyl will not effect the hardybacker in any way. That is like saying that putting a slip sheet for a mud bed will effect your shower floor. Just anchor down the vinyl and underlayment through the subfloor, into the floor joists, every six inches until solid, and underlay and lay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Porcelain vs. Ceramic tile [ 5 Answers ]

What is the difference in porcelain and ceramic tile? Does one wear better than the other? What about chipping, scratching, dulling, cracking, etc. Thanks for your help.

Drilling into Ceramic Tile [ 11 Answers ]

How does one drill into ceramic tile without cracking the tile?

New Vinyl Tile is squeaking? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone can educate me on new vinyl flooring. We are preparing our house to put it on the market and just paid to have new vinyl tile installed in our kitchen and bathroom. The guys came yesterday, and were there until 9:20 last night completing the installation. (They...

Ceramic Tile as baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had some of my rooms tiled by a pro and he took off my wood baseboards and made baseboards from the tile. I am now trying to tile another room on my own. Does anyone know how to make the baseboards ? Do I baseboard 1st or floor tile 1st ? As specific as possible would be great! Thanks

Ceramic Tile Baseboard [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I am putting in a ceramic tile floor in a bathroom and plan on cutting the tiles and using them for a baseboard. Is there a correct size that this baseboard should be? And should I put anything on the top edge of the tile to finish it off? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

View more questions Search