Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Paula1970's Avatar
    Paula1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 10, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Immigration case for a minor
    I got my parent to the US as Legal Permanent Resident and they brought their granddaughter who is a minor (5 years old) and under their legal care on a I-94 status, which expired on Jan 2007; however, we did file a I-130 Application for Allien Relative prior to this expiration date.

    My parents do not have custody of their granddaughter because apparently as long as the child's parent's are still alive, the Portuguese legal system does not allow grandparents to take legal custody of their grandchildren. I went to a Lawyer in Portugal to see if it was possible for my parents to get legal custody but all he was able to do was have the legal system make both my parents her legal caregiver. They have since December 06 sent an I-130 application to USCIS, which is still pending to apply for their grandddaughter to get a green card as well.
    Was this the right form to send, or should we have sent the I-485 to change legal status? Getting the paperwork done for my parents was much easier than getting it done for the child. I have no idea what to do in this case and no one at USCIS is being much help.

    Also, does anyone know how I can get documents translated from Portuguese to English by a certified translator that do not charge an arm per page? Currently, the consulate will translate for ~$50 a page. Another person wanted over $80 per page.

Check out some similar questions!

Name change of minor [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to change my son's last name to mine, he is six years old, in the last five years he may have seen his father 2 or 3 times and that has not been in the last 3 and half and I have received $60 in the last 6 years for two children, (the younger has my last name) my question is in the...

Immigration fees for Australian immigration [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Sir; I want to know the immigration fee for Australian Immigration please also clasify both refundable in case of rejection and non refundable immigration fee. I travers every Australian immigration web site but I did'nt find immigration fee please replay me soon. ...

Sex with a minor [ 11 Answers ]

My ex who is 18 now lost her virginity a then 27 year old when she was 16, this being northern ireland she was just a minor. No one knows about this apart from me and a few of her friends. I want him to pay for what he did as I see it being sexual abuse. Do I have any right in reporting it to...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.