Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mindy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Ceiling fan only works on low speed
    We have a ceiling fan that was in the living room when we bought our house. At the time, there was no longer a pull chain for the fan. We just replaced that switch, and now the fan only works on low speed. The fan didn't work at all prior to the new switch. Is there anyway of knowing if we can have all 3 speeds working?

Thanks.

-mindy
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2005, 03:43 PM
    If the fan has 3 speeds, it should have a white, black, and red or other color of wire running to the switch. The switch should have 4 positions, connecting the black wire from the house to none, the black, the red, and both wires to the black wire from the house. Even if the switch isn't correct, you should be able to change connections with the power off, and try the other speeds. It is possible one of the windings in the motor is open and only one speed will work. If the fan only has 2 wires, it only has one speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

Ceiling fan works properly only when light is on [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a ceiling fan, and though the fan works great when the light is turned on, when the light is turned off, all power seems to be drained from the fan. I've tried to rewire, but no luck. And when the light and fan are on together, any small imbalance in the "fan" disappears. Does...

I need more speed on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hunter ceiling fan. It usually is on about 8hr during the night since I live in the tropics. I don't use the reverse and I have separate switches for the fan and light. The fan is set on max speed always. I need more breeze from the fan so I slightly bent each blade by about 2 degrees and...

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

View more questions Search