Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NamesCody Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Sell of Inherited Property
    My mom and her sister inherited their fathers property after he died, there was no mortgage to pay. When he passed away it was appraised for over 100k, They have an offer for 90k, when it was recently appraised for 85k. Are they going to have any taxes to pay on the property if all goes well with the offer? The estimated real estate commission is 4500 and the owner is paying all other fees and taxes. There was roughly $200 in to fix a few problems recently also, if that matters.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
    No. If the selling price, minus the cost of selling is less than the "Basis" there is no capital gain. Indeed, there is a capital loss. The basis would be the appraised value at the time of inheirtance.
    tangiawalker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 10:17 AM

How Do I sell my 1/3 of a house that is located at 4289 Kimball Road in Atlanta, GA 30331. The property is currently worth 88,000. My inheritance in worth 29,000.00.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

If I inherit property outside the US, and intend to sell, what are the taxes I will have to pay?

International sell of home ? Inherited? Bringing money to the states. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am trying to get some advise on a house sale. I currently live in Ca. with my brother and mother. My Dad passed away 4 years ago in another country (Ecuador). My father lived in the U.S.A. and also in Ecuador however he owned a house where my mom and dads name is on. We are...

Inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

My brother and I inherited my grandmothers home in California in 1996. My brother has been living in the home since then. We both have equal 50/50 ownership in this property. The house was long ago paid for and there is no mortgage. My brother has now obtained a mortgage for half of the current...

Tax on Inherited property? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a home from my mother. The home was sold six months from the time of her death, and no improvements were made on the home. Do I have to pay capital gains tax?

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

View more questions Search