Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pauldaoctorpus Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 10:59 PM
    How many choices are possible
    A student committee consists of 2 persons.These 2 people will be chosen from a group consisting of 6 senior level students, 7 intermediate level students and 4 junior level students . How many choices are possible if

(a) both people are chosen from the same level ;
    (b) these 2 people are chosen from different levels .

I will be glad if someone help !
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 12:41 AM

(a)

This could be:
    1. 2 people from senior, that is 6C2
    2. 2 people from intermediate, that is 7C2
    3. 2 people from junior, that is 4C2

So, add them all!

(b)

_ _
    These are the two slots. In the first slot, you can put any of the 17 people, so, you put:

(17) _

Now, if you picked from senior, you are left with 11 more people, so you put (17) (11). The number of choices becomes 17*11 = 187.

If you picked from intermediate, you are left with 10 more people, so you put (17) (10). The number of choices becomes 17*10 = 170.

Same for if you picked junior.

Add the three different configurations and you will get the answer.

I hope it helped! :) Post what you get!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Career Choices [ 2 Answers ]

Im having a struggle (at 16) with what I should pursue as my career later on. One of my loves is soccer. Ive been playing soccer since I was 7. Ive being seen by college coaches and Im on some recruiting lists. So I thought I could pursue playing professional soccer. But my other love is music. I...

Stuck between two choices [ 12 Answers ]

I have two job opportunities that I'm trying to get except they are in two different cities. I have been on a wait list for the first one for 2 weeks now and it is impossible to contact HR. This job is really great as it is a government job. The other job in the other city is much more reachable...

Choices [ 2 Answers ]

Joe, unfortunately, found himself in Hell after his demise here on earth. Upon his arrival, the Devil greeted him and advised him that he may choose his place of eternity from 3 rooms, behind the 3 doors that were before him. Joe walked up to door #1 and when he got near it the intense heat...

So Many Choices [ 8 Answers ]

This is a complex part of my life. Can anybody PLEASE tell me about the dark haired man that I know so well and care for so much. He has "problems" in his life, and I have "problems" in my life... very, very different problems. I'm looking for a reading... whatever you seems to get. It could...

View more questions Search