Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deak9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Need tax basis caused by spinnoff, Chapter 11, merger, and sale.
    I owned Southern Co stock and from a 04/02/2001 spinoff received 271 shares of Mirant Corp stock @ $14.50/sh. On 01/03/2006 Mirant emerged from Chapter 11. At that time the "old" Mirant stock was canceled and "new" Mirant stock was issued at rate of 0.027100875 shares per 1 old Mirant share, which gave me 7 shares of new Mirant stock.

On 09/13/2010 Mirant Corp and RRI Energy merged and has become GenOn Energy. From the merger I received 2.835 shares of RRI stock for each share of my Mirant stock, which gave me 19 shares of GenOn stock, which I sold on 12/20/2010 and netted $52.26 on the sale.

How to I calculate tax basis on this? Do I have a Long Term Loss based on my original Mirant value of $$3,931(+/-)? Thanks...

AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 09:33 AM
    You need to contact Southern Company to ensure that the basis of the original spin-off stock was in fact $14.50 per share for a total basis of $3,929.50. The actual basis may in fact be the difference between the value of your Southern Company stock the day BEFORE the spin-off and the value the day AFTER the sp[in-off.

If confirmed, then, yes, your long-term loss would be the proceeds of the sale minus the basis, whatever it is.

Jan 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Thanks a lot and I will check on what you mentioned.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 12:28 PM

Your cost basis in the old Mirant is 38.91% times your original cost basis in Southern Co - I found that from this web site regarding the spin off Mirant: http://investor.southerncompany.com/faq.cfm?faqid=3 Use this figure for your cost basis of the GenOn stock. This assumes that you did not previously repport any gains or losses from the cash in lieue of stock that you should have received for partial shares of either the new Mirant or the GenOn.

Jan 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    I just want to verify that when the "old" Mirant stock was and the "new" Mirant stock was issued, that it does not affect the original basis of the Mirant stock by going through the Chapter 11 process? Thanks for your help.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 06:56 AM

Deak - please use the answer box to ask follow-up questions, not the comment box.

No , the bankruptcy and later reissue of Mirant does not affect your original basis - UNLESS you wrote off your original stock purchase as a loss when the old Mirant went bankrupt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In a quebec home sale, for how long do you have a claim against vendor? What basis? [ 2 Answers ]

In a house purchase in Quebec, the sale included all furniture. The vendor took a great deal of the furniture. How do I go about getting reimbursed for the loss of the furniture? In addition, the house needs repairs that I was unaware of. Is there any recourse available?

Tax-free merger: What amount should this building be recorded? [ 1 Answers ]

Sign Company purchased the net assets of Post Company in a business combination accounted for as a purchase. As a result, goodwill was recorded. For tax purposes, this combination was considered to be a tax- free merger. Included in the assets is a building with an appraised value of $210,000 on...

Tax report for stock merger [ 3 Answers ]

My original stock went through a few mergers, and I wonder how to do the tax report for 2009: 1) April 2000: Bought 100 shares of OnDisplay stock for 66.9/share 2) July 2000: It got bought by Vignette and became 158 vignette shares at 33.88/share 3) June 2005: Vignette did reverse split:...

Quit Claim Deed vs. Basis Sale contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I own a condominium 50-50 with a friend of mine. He wants to buy a house on his own and sell me his half of the unit so we can take his name off the current Mortgage. 1- I applied with our original Lender to "buy him out" and they proceeded with a refinance for me to pay the full...

Basis and Expenses on Inherited Property Sale [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their father's home upon his death 6 months ago. Brother-in-law wants to purchase my wife's share. Brother-in-law is also executor. How do we establish basis, FMV and report sale between siblings of inherited real estate? The plan at the moment is to get...

View more questions Search