Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imdegrandma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 08:59 AM
    My company and text messages from me to doctor -- HIPAA violation?
    My cell phone contains text messages from me to my doctor. My business has now confiscated my phone to see if I text during working hours. Is that a HIPAA violation? At this time, many people are looking at ALL my text messages.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 09:12 AM
    I don't see this as a HIPAA violation. They are not specifically looking for inforrmation regarding you doctor's visits; just dates and times when you used your phone.

There is a way of accessing a mobile phone to see just dates and times of calls, but doesn't reveal the conversation.
    Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2011, 09:34 AM
    No, its not a HIPAA violation, partially for the reasons Tickle stated and partially because YOU are the one revealing the info. Since you may have violated policies for cellphone use, you opened up this can of worms.

However, I question the company's rights to seize personal property. Unless this is a company issued cellphone, I don't know if they have the right to confiscate it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 10:03 AM
    There is no HIPAA violation here, since HIPAA rules only apply to medical professionals. The one possibility for a potential violation here is if you had not authorized your doctor to use text messaging to communicate with you. But assuming that this is a company cell phone that's being investigated - presumably you were aware that the company maintains ownership of all communications made on company-owned devices and systems, and hence your authorization for the doctor to use text messaging to discuss medical info in esssence also authorized your company to have access to your medical info.

BTW - it would be the same sitiation if you used your corporate email address to communicate with your doctor. That would also automatically allow your employer to have access to your medical discussions with your doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation to mention to my doctor that a friend got poor treatment? [ 0 Answers ]

I referred a friend of mine to one of my doctors a while ago and he has since cancelled his appointments with my doctor and gone with another physician due to the office staff constantly calling to reschedule his appt. When it was time for me to go in for an appt I mentioned to my doctor that I...

Billing Company contacting clients a HIPAA violation? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a new billing company that is refusing to call patients regarding payment, etc. because they said it is a HIPAA violation. I have never heard this before. With our old billing company, they were an employee of ours, and therefore a 'business associate' and they were legally able to call...

Doctor violation of HIPAA law [ 6 Answers ]

Dr.A. access' Dr. B's patient medical charts(there has never been a reason/need for them to share patient medical info), embellishing the charts with false information and sends the patient files along with an anonymous complaint to the state medical board. Is this a HIPAA violation? How does Dr....

Is emailing a doctor a HIPAA violation? [ 1 Answers ]

I emailed my doctor regarding a health issue. I found out later he was out for a period and contacted his associate through a nurse. Today, the doctor returned and read my email. I was contacted by a nurse that said that I cannot email the doctor because it IS a HiPPA violation. She said it was not...

I can receive text messages but no one can get any of my text messages I send [ 1 Answers ]

I have a virgin mobile phone and I accidentally left it in my clothes and it got washed and it wouldn't work so I just bought the same phone and just switched my account to my new phone today and I was able to text message until just recently I can receive text messages that someone else sends me...

View more questions Search