Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Jan 2, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Cancer
    My husband had cancer three years ago. The treatment they gave him caused him to have hearing loss and a little short term memory loss. Lately I am finding that his memory loss seems to be getting worse. He had the treatment at the VA and it was an experimental kind, since they didn't think he was going to make it. Due to that fact I hear a lot of "No one can know for sure what the effects might be" when I ask about certain things. Does anyone else know someone who has had memory loss after cancer treatment. I am just wondering if this is normal or if I will find my husband has lost all his faculties in just a few more years. I am scared. I will never leave him but due to his problems I am the only one supporting us and it will be a thousand times harder if I have to find someone to take care of him when I'm not around.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 2, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Firstly what is his age?

Secondly what kind of cancer treatment did he have? There are hundereds and hundreds of chemotheraphy agents out there. And they are as individual as the cancer, and the person itself.

I had what you call "cancer treatment" almost 10 years ago now and that consisted of 5 different chemotherapy agents.

For instance, I had breast cancer, my sister-in-law had breast cancer, both the same kind, but due to individual differences we were on totally different medications.

Unfortunately, without specifics, your question is impossible to answer. You may find one or two people here who will give you an answer, but without knowing what the cancer was and what drugs were used the answer will most likely be inaccurate.
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Jan 2, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Please consult with a Personal Injury Attorney or an Attorney experienced in Pharmaceutical Product Liability cases. It is my understanding, the drug manufactures are required to warn you of all possible side effects or adverse reaction of a drug, prior to their use, even in clinical trials.

However, yes, Loss of hearing, even partial and significant is common in the treatment of Cancer and the use of Anticancer drugs or Chemotherapy. Researchers are currently looking for ways to protect the inner ear in the future, according to the American Cancer Society.

Hearing loss require treatment and someone has to be responsible for the tab. An Attorney will give you a free consultation and thourghly evaluate the details of your claim.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. American Cancer Society, 2006.
    ACS :: Drug Prevents Chemotherapy-induced Hearing Loss in Lab Studies
    futile_actions Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kattygirl
    My husband had cancer three years ago. The treatment they gave him caused him to have hearing loss and a little short term memory loss. Lately I am finding that his memory loss seems to be getting worse. He had the treatment at the VA and it was an experimental kind, since they didn't think he was going to make it. Due to that fact I hear a lot of "No one can know for sure what the effects might be" when I ask about certain things. Does anyone else know someone who has had memory loss after cancer treatment. I am just wondering if this is normal or if I will find my husband has lost all his faculties in just a few more years. I am scared. I will never leave him but due to his problems I am the only one supporting us and it will be a thousand times harder if I have to find someone to take care of him when im not around.
    My grandfather had cancer and he had a lot of surguries and one of them caused the cancer to spread and it was horrible, he was in a lot of pain all we did was wait and ssoon after he died, but that was probably because he was so old
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdaniels
    Please consult with a Personal Injury Attorney or an Attorney experienced in Pharmaceutical Product Liability cases. It is my understanding, the drug manufactures are required to warn you of all possible side effects or adverse reaction of a drug, prior to their use, even in clinical trials.
    Unfortunately, this avenue won't work as it was experimental. They have to agree to participate in experimental drug treatments. Unless the "wool was pulled over their eyes" and they did not know this was experimental, there is nothing that can be done in this case.

I have worked many med/mal cases to know that you must agree to particiapte in the experiment and the outcomes are not always known.

Therefore, very few, if any, med/mal attorneys will take this case.

They went into it knowing that it was experimental, did not think that he had long to live, but did live longer than expected. As long as they knew it was experimental before the treatment there is nothing that can be done.

I was a paralegal who spent 10+ years in medical malpractice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breast Cancer [ 5 Answers ]

My mom has been having problems lately with her left breast.She has been bleeding through her nipple and her breast gets real big/swollen.The color of her breast changes to a darker color it almost looks as though it is brused up. My question is could this be Breast Cancer?:confused:

Prostate cancer [ 3 Answers ]

Im not concerned that I have it I just want to educate myself. Is prostate cancer lumps on the balls or like a lumpy substance in your ball sack?

Cancer [ 8 Answers ]

I am a 12 year old Autistic (Asperger's) female, and I have been noticing some things going on with my right breast lately. It looks like it has been bruised up, my nipple is wrinked. I have been noticing discharge on my breast. I have had my meds. Switched from Risperdal to Geodon. Which...

Help! Thyroid Cancer? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had thyroid cancer ! He had radiation therapy and also had his thyroid removed! Can this cause him to become infertile? I need to know!

Cancer and edema [ 1 Answers ]

A friend just had a huge tumor removed and has a colostomy bag. Several small tumors were left in, figuring chemo would take care of them. She is now experiencing terrible edema in her legs, feet and abdomen. What is causing this and how should it be properly treated? Does it have anything to...

View more questions Search