Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abufordjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 01:39 PM
    California Inheritance Tax (death tax)
    I inherited property in a different state a few months ago in 2007 and I need to know if there is any California tax because of this. The state I inherited the property has no inheritance tax so if there is tax in California, do I have to wait until the "possession of ownership" documents have been submitted to the courts? That will not be until March of 2008 so when do I file on the property if I rec'd it in 2007?

Thanks for you guidance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Not unless the property is of substantial value (in excess of $2M).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance Tax when Death occurred in another state? [ 1 Answers ]

My family had to establish a trust in order to protect my mother's house prior to her death. Now that she has passed away and the trustee has found a buyer for the house, do I need to worry about New York taxes (where the assets were located as well as the trust) as well as California taxes (where...

California inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

Does California have an inheritance tax on a bequest received from an estate probated in Ireland?

California estate/inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died last year. Her gross estate is worth about 1.2 million, all house. ( Calif real estate). My attorney tells me the amount over 1 mil. Is taxed at 48%. Nowhere can I find information about this tax, or, that the cut off is 2 mil. Any info would be appreciated.

California Inheritance Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I just receive a California inheritance distribution of $56,000. Also I received a W-9 form from my probate lawyer. Here are my questtions of concern: Must I pay any withholding taxes to either the Federal or State for this amount of inheritance money? (If, yes, what percentage of taxes would...

California Inheritance Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Our parents are American citizens and live in California,the want us to inherit their property in California. We are British citizens and live in England, do we have to pay any death /inheritors taxes in the U.S. Their assets are worth less than $1 million.

View more questions Search