Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tax_Q Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Moving to Canada - Tax advice request
    Hi,

I am taking up a job in Canada this month with my landed immigrant status.
    I have filed my 2005 US tax return as MFJ. My wife will continue to work in US for at least next one year. Please advice on the following:
    - What is my filing status for my 2006 US tax return? I think MFJ resident. Is there any advantage if my wife works in US and maintain the residency in Canada (such as working in border state)?
    - Any advice to save double taxation.
    - What are the tax implications on Canadian side?

Thanks for your time and help.
    Regards

Thomas
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 11, 2006, 08:26 PM
    If you are a U.S. citizen, you must pass taxes on worldwide income. However, you can claim a credit for the taxes paid to Canada.

You will file MFJ.

As for Canadian taxes, I have no expertise there.

Jul 12, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Thanks ATE,

I am not an US citizen, but on a H1 status which will expire in Oct. In this situation, do I have to pay tax to US for my canadian earnings?

Once again thanks for your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 12, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Yes, because as a H-1 visa holder who files as a resident alien, ALL of your world-wide income is subject to U.S. tax, at least for 2006.

Now, you MAY want to investigate filing an expatriate dual-status return. It's somewhat complicated, but a careful reading of IRS Pub 519 (which can be download from www.irs.gov) should allow you to determine if it is advantageous to file such a return.

Jul 12, 2006, 07:36 PM
    ATE, Thanks for your useful advice.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Glad to help!
    JackieHandunge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 05:34 PM

For more information on Tax Planning and online Tax Advice, would like to recommend this site –
    Tax Information: Stay Ahead and Prepare with the Right Tax Information
    Guides you on what is required of individuals and businesses with regard to filing taxes. Tax Deduction tips and information on Tax Return Refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving to Canada from California, Good Idea? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for opinions from CANADIANS principally, but anyone with experience would be helpful, thank you!:D I currently live in Orange County, California, I am Mexican,:cool: and currently I work as General Manager of a hotel,:p I was brought to the US when I was under age and now I’m...

Moving to US from canada on L visa - process of applying for EAD & green card? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, We are currently residing in canada as permanent residents for the past 1-1/2 yr. Recently my wife's company was acquired by a US firm who as a result of their decision to relocate operations to it's US headquarters, extended an offer to the whole operations department to move & relocate to DC...

Is this a ridiculous request? [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, Tenaj again. I bought a new computer XP Media center edition moved up from Windows 2000. Is is possible for me to burn Front Page from my old computer to CD and install it on my new. I bought the old computer from someone who runs an ad in our local newspaper that rebuild...

View more questions Search