Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tendakiss Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Jan 20, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Visitation after being released from Prison on Child Sex Abuse charges?
    My ex and father of my 2 sons (ages 7 and 8) was convicted of Sex Abuse New Attempt (that's all the info I have) of his step-daughter in 2006. He has not had contact with my children since Nov. 2004. He will be released in April. I need to know if he can get visitation of my boys. If so how can I prevent this?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tendakiss View Post
    My ex and father of my 2 sons (ages 7 and 8) was convicted of Sex Abuse New Attempt (that's all the info I have) of his step-daughter in 2006. He has not had contact with my children since Nov. 2004. He will be released in April. I need to know if he can get visitation of my boys. If so how can I prevent this?
    The step-daughter was not your daughter I assume?

Were you divorced? Was there a child custody and visitation order? What does it provide?

If not, he technically has as much right as you do to custody of his children. You had best consult with an attorney.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 08:00 PM

You should have filed something the moment after his conviction. In many states crimes of that nature could get that parents rights removed.

Why did you wait?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 09:35 PM

Yes, after he was convicted and went to prison did you file to get his visit order modified and taken away.

AND does he even have a court order to allow for visits ?

He can of course ask and go to court to request visits, and you will fight it with evidence ( court records of his conviction) to prove he may be a threat to them.
    tendakiss Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2011, 10:04 AM
    Actually, I didn't wait. I didn't know. You see, because of the way we split up I fled. I have been in hiding for 6 years. I recently decided to contact his sister because it wasn't his family's fault that he was a sick messed up man. I only found out about his conviction about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure why I got the courage to contact his family but it is irreversable now. I am contacting an attorney to find out what needs to be done. I am no longer afraid of him. I have proved that I can handle anything and can protect my children no matter what.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tendakiss View Post
    I need to know if he can get visitation of my boys. If so how can I prevent this?
    Hello t:

If there is NO visitation order in effect, and he tries to get one, simply oppose it. He'll still probably get to visit his children, but only under supervision.

If there IS a visitation order, go to court and get it modified.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child sex abuse [ 4 Answers ]

I was asked to attend voluntary at the local police station for questioning about an allergation of rape of a girl under the age of 13 and sexaul assult of this girl and her sister there is no avidence to prove all that is to hand is the girls word I answered all questiond denying all...

How can I find a friend released from prison [ 2 Answers ]

How can I find a friend released from prison

Charges for child abuse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Latricia I'm not sure what this sight is about I'm new. I am doing a report for school on the law against child abuse and I have found all the information that I need except one thing I can't seem to find what the charges are on child abuse so I was wondering if any one could help me...

Child abuse charges [ 5 Answers ]

I was babysitting a one year old boy in my home for about a month. He has a 4 yr.old sister that started getting off the school bus at my house. She came on a Thursday, and then the following Friday. That Friday night, the parents called, I was not home, but returned their call. They said the boy...

Child abuse charges [ 12 Answers ]

Child abuse charges how long do they last I'm looking in to foster care and would like to know how long do family file stay open in New York

View more questions Search