Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarkkent Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Wireless networking
    I have two computers set up with a Belkin wireless router.One computer has a Belkin wireless network adapter and the other has Belkin wireless desktop card.Should they both have either Belkin wirelesss cards or Belkin USB network adapters? I want to know why one computer can access files and folders from the other computer but the other cannot.The wireless connections in both seem to be setup correctly( I know the basics atleast) and the fire walls don't seem to be preventing access. The internet connection works find most of the time.I am using (WZC) to share files and folders. Is this a common problem? Thanks!
    ClarkK:confused: ent
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Apr 3, 2007, 04:22 AM
    The use of same/different wireless NICs shouldn't matter as long as the NIC is complies with the 802.11 standard that your Belkin Wireless router uses. So if you have an abg router then any a, b, or g wireless NIC will work.

It also sounds like your wireless setup is working just fine from what you're describing. The fact that you can access files in one direction but not the other has nothing to do with your wireless. It has everything to do with your OS configuration. You need to make sure that your file sharing is enabled correctly in both directions. Things to check:

- Both machines are in the same workgroup
    - Folders to be shared on each machine are defined the same way on both machines (i.e. sharing permissions, folder permissions)

Give those a 2nd look and see if they're the same.

Casey
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Apr 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Are you running WinXP on both machines? If so, try to just run the home networking wizard on both machines, make sure they are setup the same, and turn on file and print sharing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

Problems with XP firewall and wireless networking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have just set up a wireless network consisting of 3 laptop computers and 1 PC. The PC is connected to the internet and wireless router. When the PC reboots the firewall kicks in and prevents file sharing between the PC and the laptops. The laptops can view and access each others files but...

Windows XP Pro SP2 Wireless Networking Issue - Refuses to Connect to Router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a home network of 3 computers which share the same broadband connection. I moved house a few months ago and until then I was able to run the internet connection into the wireless router, unfortunately my new ISP (Spanish ISP, Telefonica) refuses connection with everything except their...

Networking [ 5 Answers ]

I have alaptop connected to my desktop with a ethernet cable. The destop can access files from the laptop but no traffic the other way. I have now connected the laptop to another desktop and it works fine both ways. I have tried lots of things like taking off all firewalls, permisions etc. The...

View more questions Search