Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Hy is this often true?
    In the bible we see that a prophet is not accepted in his home town.
    What do you thinks is the reason for that?
    From the New Jerusalem Bible.
    Matthew 13: 53. When Jesus had finished these parables he left the district;
    54. And, coming to his home town, he taught the people in their synagogue in such a way that they were astonished and said, "Where did the man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?
    55. This is the carpenter's son, surely? Is not his mother the woman called Mary, and his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Jude?
    56. His sisters, too, are they not all here with us? So where did the man get it all?"
    57. And they would not accept him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is despised only in his own country and in his own house,"
    58. And he did not work many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
    :) Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:49 PM
    My quick simple guess would be because he grew up there so they see him as 'cute little Joey' or whatever and therefore do not take his spirituality seriously.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 10:11 PM
    N0help4u ,
    Thanks for your answer but I think there is much more to it than that.
    I have seen similar things happen in this day and age.
    People who turned out to be great persons often have not been initially accepted in their home towns until long after they were accepted and become popular or person of great notoriety in the world away from their home towns.
    I have wondered if envy has something to do with that.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
    A prophet is by definition, a man sent by god.

I think it would be difficult for home town folks to accept a person they knew from birth to be sent by god! They couldn't see beyond his fallable self they saw over the years. :)
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Aug 2, 2008, 09:06 AM
    The problem seems to stem from the Garden of Eden. When Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit, they got something like what they sought. They wanted to "know good and evil". What they got was the selfish ability to JUDGE. And all their progeny have it.

God's judgement of good and evil is absolute and "right". The natural man judges by what they think and opine is good FOR THEM.

People tend to seek to find something wrong in others. People see a prophet growing up and don't always like what they see because it goes against their judgement of how they should act... even if they are perfect as Jesus is/was. These people maintained their "power" over Jesus by making His good into evil.

Those who don't see us grow up have less to JUDGE us on. They can be more accepting. But even if a person grows up to be "great", those who knew him as a child maintain a "put-down" judgement of him.

Isa 11:2-4
    To the Spirit of the Lord will rest on him —
    The Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
    The Spirit of counsel and of power,
    The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord —
    3 and he will delight in the fear of the Lord.

He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
    Or decide by what he hears with his ears;
    4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
    With justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
    NIV

Gal 2:6
    God does not judge by external appearance
    NIV
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 09:02 PM
    revdrgade,
    Marvelous insight there, rev,
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Is this true? [ 7 Answers ]

Is it true that when you have too much sex that your but gets softer

Is that true [ 27 Answers ]

Is that true that Muslims never have sex before marriage?And all girls are virgins before marriage? How muslims men could control themselves when they feel hot?I am very curious! Any one can say tell me something?:confused:

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

Is it true? [ 3 Answers ]

That they are remaking final fantasy 7(one of the all time greatest games) for the ps3?

View more questions Search