Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mld9u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Taxes on sale of inherited real estate
    We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 05:13 PM
    The basis of the property "stepped up" to the Fair Market Value at the time of your father's death.

Assuming the property has appreciated since then, you will pay capital gains taxes on the on whatever you get for the propety minus the sales costs minus the stepped-up FMV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on an inherited annuity [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away in 2005 and bequeathed his annuity to me and my sister. The funds (approximately $16,000 each) were distributed in 2006 and his estate paid the Federal and Colorado State taxes on it before my sister and I received our share. Because I deposited the entire amount into the...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Claiming real estate attorney fees on taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my attorney fees from a real estate attorney that I had last year. What the sisuation was that my husband and I purchased a house that was defective from the builder, but he was not going down easy to say the least. :mad: We had over a year of attorney fees and two years of fighting...

Estate taxes, appraisal, and property sale [ 1 Answers ]

A family member died in 3/05 and left us two houses in California in a trust. We'd like to get appraisals that are hopefully below $1.5 million to avoid the estate tax. What happens if we then sell the two houses and the sale prices are above the appraised values? Is estate tax recalculated? ...

View more questions Search