Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Female circumcision. Mutilation of young girls.
    Today a young woman posted that she had undergone female circumcision at the age of 5, and now, at the age of 21 and married, she cannot even have sex with her husband, they sewed her up too much. She wanted to know what to do, but is afraid to go to a doctor.

Many years ago I read an article in Readers Digest, which I now know was part of a book written by Waris Dirie, a model from Africa, and the voice against female circumcision. The book is called "Dessert Flower".

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...62zgeA&cad=rja

I feel this is a subject worthy of discussion, so I'm posting the same readers digest version of her story here. It's long, but it's worth the read, and it's a story that needs to be heard.

The Waris Dirie Story

I think this topic is worthy of discussion. The young girls that go through this don't have a voice, they only have the screams and pain they'll never forget as long as they live.

This "surgery" is preformed by old women in the villages or towns where this is practiced. These women have no medical experience, they do this in places that aren't sterilized, without sterile equipment, and without the knowledge to take care of any emergencies that happen. Many of these girls bleed to death because of this butchery. Those that don't usually live a life of suffering, pain, and unable to enjoy sex, if their husband can even enter them.

So please, discuss. I think this subject needs to be talked about.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 08:18 PM

I read the imformation in the site you posted. It's the most horrifying, gruesome thing I have
    Ever read.
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    I read the imformation in the site you posted. It's the most horrifying, gruesome thing I have
    ever read.
    If you get a chance, read the article Kit. It has a happy ending, and this woman is a true hero. She went through hell and back, and now her mission is to make sure that other girls don't have to go through what she did.

It truly is an inspiring story, even though the horror of her circumcision left tears in my eyes, she's a survivor. There are other little girls out there, some as young as 3, that go through this daily, because of cultural beliefs. The danger these girls are facing is unimaginable.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    If you get a chance, read the article Kit. It has a happy ending, and this woman is a true hero. She went through hell and back, and now her mission is to make sure that other girls don't have to go through what she did.

It truly is an inspiring story, even though the horror of her circumcision left tears in my eyes, she's a survivor. There are other little girls out there, some as young as 3, that go through this daily, because of cultural beliefs. The danger these girls are facing is unimaginable.
    I read that some Countrys had banned the practice. It isn't going to help
    The ones who have already gone through it. One part of the article said the girls were as young as three as you said. It's awful!
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 08:40 PM

Some countries have, and in many places it's illegal, but it doesn't stop this from happening, even in the US and Canada.

This is part of their culture, part of their religion. You can't squash a practice that's been going on for 1,400 -2000 years (the jury's still out on time lines). ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 08:44 PM

The US and Canada.. I didn't know that. Why would countries like US and Canada allow this. That's horrible.
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 08:57 PM
    The US and Canada..I didn't know that. Why would countries like US and Canada allow this. That's horrible.
    They don't allow it. It's done in secret. If something goes wrong the family usually won't even take the girl to hospital in fear of being arrested.

It's illegal to mutilate girls in the US and Canada and many other countries, but there are many illegal things that are done every day.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 09:00 PM
    They don't allow it. It's done in secret. If something goes wrong the family usually won't even take the girl to hospital in fear of being arrested.

It's illegal to mutilate girls in the US and Canada and many other countries, but there are many illegal things that are done every day.

Then they should pass a law here and in Canada that anyone who is caught doing this could be imprisoned. Do they have a law against it here?
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
    Then they should pass a law here and in Canada that anyone who is caught doing this could be imprisoned. Do they have a law against it here?
    I believe there is a law, which is why the families won't take the girls to the hospital if there's a problem, they just let them bleed to death rather than risk being arrested and imprisoned.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
    I believe there is a law, which is why the families won't take the girls to the hospital if there's a problem, they just let them bleed to death rather than risk being arrested and imprisoned.
    Oh my Goodness. I cannot believe that right here in this country and in Canada some little child is treated that way.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 09:08 PM

I read the article and all I can say is wow... just wow.
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I read the article and all I can say is wow...just wow.
    She's an inspiration, isn't she? I can't imagine the hell she went through.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 09:10 PM
    J you know when they stitch a woman after a baby is delivered. They dro that twice to a woman who has had that done. At the back and the front. How long would it take something that awful to heal?
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 09:10 PM

Her strength is just amazing.
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 09:15 PM

If you read the Wiki link I posted, you can see that she's been through many hardships in her life. She truly is an inspiration. She's turned this tragedy into a quest to make sure that no other little girl has to endure the suffering she did.

Sadly that quest is not an easy one. The customs of these people are so ingrained that they're not willing to stop. They truly believe they are doing right by these girls. :(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 01:01 AM
    I echo that...
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 01:38 AM

What an awesome display of strength and courage.

A true hero that will largely go unsung.
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 01:39 AM

Apparently "Dessert Flower" was made into a movie.

I'd love to see it.
    Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 01:54 AM

I'd love to see it.
    Oh! I'm going to search for it when I get home!
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 01:57 AM

I'd love to see it.
    J-9 you can go home and relax and watch it if you want to.

You can download it at Vuze.com. It's a bit torrent site I use a lot. It is also free.
    I searched and it is available on this site.

You have to download their software, but I have had no problems with it.

I have found almost any movie I have searched for , and I found some obscure cult classics I had given up on years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What girls think of circumcision [ 13 Answers ]

I'm here to ask what girls think of circumcision lik does it turn them away or are they cool with it

A young female doctor is in a coma and visits a young man who is leasing her apartmen [ 1 Answers ]

It's a movie about a female doctor who because of an accident is in a coma. Her sister has leased her apartment and a young man has taken it. The young women visits him in the apartment and is disturbed that he is there. She can't remember who she is. They solve the mystery together and ultimately...

Female circumcision [ 16 Answers ]

I was just wondering what female circumcision was b.c I read somewhere about a little girl in India who died while the procedure was being done to her... but it didn't say what it was... :confused:

What is it with young girls? [ 28 Answers ]

I know there are SOME girls out there that are mature and don't do this but for the most part it seems that most girls when they turn 19 or so go on this bad streak. They feel like partying hard, being rebellious and just being wild in general. So much to the point that they will throw away a...

View more questions Search