Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baden2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
    Tax and illegal immigration status
    I knowingly married an illegal immigrant because we had a daughter together. I don't know how I should file, separately or jointly. She does not have a ssn, but is the only one working in our family because I am in school full time. She is not trying to file or get a refund, but I have to acknowledge her as my wife on my taxes. She has a fake ssn that she has been working on since 1990, and even got a refund on that number in the following two years. But has declined to file since then because the numbers don't match her name in the Irs's database. She has filed for a visa over 5 years ago and we are still waiting on a reply. I have heard about an ITIN but don't know how to get one and we certainaly cannot afford an immigration lawyer at this time. I DO NOT want to get a divorce (only got married last year), but it seems like that may be our only option. Need to know what someone who knows more about this thinks.
    Sincerely Brian

Check out some similar questions!

The price of illegal immigration [ 10 Answers ]

Asylum Seeker Boat Crash at Christmas Island Why do they do it? 3,000 km from anywhere and obviously inexperienced seafarers and now we will get all the political hoha about how this is a result of the policies. It is tragic that these people have been lost at sea, Australia has tried for...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.