Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Apr 4, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Will this affect my credit ?
    My wife purchased a house for investment more than a year ago. She's been having all kinds of problems with tenants so she decided to short-sale it to get rid of it, especially since it's been vacant for the last 5 months. All her mortgage payments are going down the tube. The house is totally in her name. However, we always file taxes jointly and all our accounts are joint accounts. We know her credit will take a hit if she does this, but will this also affect my credit in any way ? Also, will she be able to claim all the losses on this investment property on her 2009 tax return if she goes through with the sale ? Thanks.
    jeffrey michael Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Apr 4, 2009, 08:21 AM

Well your not on the note then in no way will this effect your credit. And I believe you must be the owne a property for six months out of a year to be able to claim it on the following years taxes. So if she sells it now then she will not be able to claim the taxes for this year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does closing a 25 year old credit card account affect your credit? [ 5 Answers ]

I tried to close a credit card account that I don't use any more and their "trained" customer service person told me it was a bad move to remove a 25 year old account from my credit rating. I didn't think that the good information concerning this account would be removed from the report but he...

Affect of Foreclosure on credit [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a new home and have been trying to sell my old home 2 years. I have tried renting it, but the renters don't pay and I have had to spend money in court evicting them. It is getting to the point where it will be difficult for me to pay for both houses. Should I just let the house...

How does a 1099c affect my credit? [ 6 Answers ]

If I work out a settlement amount with a credit card company and they issue me a 1099c on the difference, how does this negatively affect my credit?

Does wife's credit affect mine? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has $5880 in credit card debt that has been turned over to collections. Do I have to worry about the debt affecting my credit? Will a judgement affect me? How likely is it that the company will sue? Can the company go after our joint checking account? How about a joint CD? I live in...

View more questions Search