Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giraffee72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Responsibilities of an authorized user of credit card
    The principal is my daughter and I'm an authorized user. I closed my account several years ago but my daughter accumulated over $7000 without my knowledge. When I pulled my credit report I was shocked to see her balance reflected on mine, affecting my credit score.
    1. Am I also legally responsible for her unpaid balance?
    2. How bad will it affect my credit score?
    3. How can I get out of this mess?
    I have always been responsible and it's sad that I am affected by the irresponsible acts of my daughter. Please advise.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 10:21 AM

Are you an authorized user or a joint cardholder? There is a big difference.

If you are just an authorized user, it shouldn't be affecting your credit. Many places do not have authroized users anymore. As a joint cardholder, you are as liable for the debt as your daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my former employer sue me for using an authorized credit card? [ 2 Answers ]

My former employer issued me a credit card to use (in my name) for dinner/drinks with clients, to use personally for gas and other things. He always said is was OK and he never once asked that I pay for any of these charges because it was a part of our business and he felt badly because he...

Authorized User of Credit Card Account of Deceased - what now? [ 3 Answers ]

Unusual situation perhaps... I am the authorized user on a number of US credit card accounts on which my father was primary cardholder. My father recently passed away overseas (as a dual citizen of US and the country in which he died) and his estate is being handled by the court of the European...

I am an authorized user on a credit card - primary passed away [ 3 Answers ]

I am an authorized user on a couple of credit cards that my mother in law took out. She recently passed away, am I responsible for the debt? I was paying on them and with the economy going the way it has, I haven't been able to continue to pay. Also, my mother in law had no will or estate. She...

Credit card authorized user [ 6 Answers ]

Hello people, I am new here but, I wanted advise from some experts on my problem. I wanted to know if I could be sued or held responsible for a debt as a Authorized user on a credit card account in Ontario Canada. I searched this site but haven't been able to find my exact circumstances. The...

Credit card authorized user [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I have a credit card issued by (Washington Mutual bank) from almost 3 years ago.. and I added my wife as an authorized user immediately after I received the card... after one year Citi bank sent us two new credit cards cause the old one has been expired so I knew that Washington mutual bank...

View more questions Search