Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellyelly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Car lease
    I have 19 months left on my 39 month lease on a 2007 Jeep grand Cherokee. My husband lost his job a week before Christmas, and our family is struggling. I called Chrysler to ask if there was anything I could do to lower my payment, add on another 6 months/1 year to my lease, refinance the lease, etc, and was told no. The customer service rep actually asked me if I could "tough it out for another 19 months." I wanted to cry. Then she said that if I were financing the vehicle instead of leasing it they have 4 or 5 different options available to help, but since I'm leasing they won't help me. Does anyone know of anything out there to help? If I do a voluntary turn-in they'll come after me eventually and take my paychecks and ruin my credit. I want to avoid that if at all possible, but I don't know what else to do. My family is struggling and I don't understand why the car company won't help me in a lease, but will help someone in a finance. If anyone knows of help out there I would greatly appreciate it!

Feb 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Car lease
    I have 19 months left on my 39 month lease on a 2007 Jeep grand Cherokee. My husband lost his job a week before Christmas, and our family is struggling. I called Chrysler to ask if there was anything I could do to lower my payment, add on another 6 months/1 year to my lease, refinance the lease, etc, and was told no. The customer service rep actually asked me if I could "tough it out for another 19 months." I wanted to cry. Then she said that if I were financing the vehicle instead of leasing it they have 4 or 5 different options available to help, but since I'm leasing they won't help me. Does anyone know of anything out there to help? If I do a voluntary turn-in they'll come after me eventually and take my paychecks and ruin my credit. I want to avoid that if at all possible, but I don't know what else to do. My family is struggling and I don't understand why the car company won't help me in a lease, but will help someone in a finance. If anyone knows of help out there I would greatly appreciate it!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 01:23 PM

In cases like this there are 3 options, walk away and let them ruin your credit, find someone to take over the lease, or sell the car and pay the difference between what you sell it for and what Chrysler says the car is worth.

I think the second option would be the best, if you have decently low payments for this car maybe someone will assume the remainder of the lease. Though maybe selling it might work, was this 2007 model brand new when you bought it or slightly used?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2009, 01:26 PM

We are in almost the same situation, except I have two large bills a month. A truck and a trailer. File for bankruptcy is possibly the only solution. Contact a lawyer and see what they advise.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2009, 01:35 PM

The reason they won't help with a lease is because a lease is not a loan. An auto-lease is the same as an apartment lease. You aren't buying the car, you are renting it.

You might try seeing if you can get a loan to pay it off that can lower your payments, but there may be an early termination fee on the lease.

Another possibility is a sale. A third possibility is seeing if you can adjust your budget to fit the payments in. And, of course bankruptcy is an option.

Feb 16, 2009, 01:42 PM
    No, my payments are higher than what a typical 07 Jeep would lease for because I rolled over from a previous loan. At the time it didn't seem to matter since we were both working, but with him unemployed now we just can't do it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2009, 01:47 PM

I've merged your two threads, please don't post the same question in multiple forums.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not on lease. Am I responsible for fees after ROOMMATE voluntarily breaks lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in CA. I have been living with my roommate for a year and a half and her name is the only one on the lease. We both moved into the place together after having just met, but she moved in 1 month early, paid the full deposit and was and still is the only name that has ever appeared on the...

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

View more questions Search