Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbriggs Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Our landlord is going to have the electric turned off!
    So we are being evicted,we have a court date set for June 19.My landlord calls today and tells us he is having the electric turned off on Wednesday! Can he do this? Will the electric co. come out and shut it off? What should I do??
    Please help!:(
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 03:13 PM
    It is illegal for the landlord to have the utilities shut off in order to force you to move out. First call the electric company to see if you can have the account put in your name until the eviction is resolved. (If the landlord is responsible for providing you with electricity at his cost then you can deduct your costs from the amount that you owe the landlord.)

If the electric company can't help then I suggest that you call the police and tell them that the landlord is trying to do an illegal eviction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 03:18 PM
    I can understand the landlords feeling, esp if he is paying the electric and you are not paying the rent, he is actually having to pay money out and has nothing coming in.

So if this is the case, you should at least pay now for the electric you have used. But no, legally he can not do that, and if you notify the electric company you are in the middle of the eviction, they normally will not turn it off.

Jun 2, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Thank you everyone.. I did call the electric co. and they have noted my account,they took his name and said that NO one will be turning off the electric and they won't turn it off if there is someone in the rental when they come anyway.They are going to make a case file and post it in the notes!
    Thanks for the help! I just love this site!

Jun 2, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Should I call the police anyway? He keeps shutting off the water as well.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbriggs
    should I call the police anyway? he keeps shutting off the water as well.
    Absolutely. What he's doing is illegal. When you appear in court for your eviction hearing, ask the judge for permission to file a countersuit for damages for illegal eviction. Your landlord could end up owing you money.

(Make sure you get a police report on the water issue, and get something in writing from the electric co. to show that the landlord tried to have the electricity shut off. Bring those to court with you.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Electric Heat & astronomical electric bills [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a new home with a Goodman. We are receiving astronomical electric bills. Our previous home was all electric and we didn't have this problem. We called back the contractor and they didn't find anything wrong. I have since found that the thermostat was set to "Comfort" for the...

Tenant turned landlord issues [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend and I began renting an apartment in a converted house in Dec. of '06. The house we were living in went on the market in the summer of '07. I bought the house in August of '07, at the same time we were splitting up. She has yet to pick up her belongings and I am wondering when I...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

View more questions Search