Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jauffer11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
    Replacing 2 plug and 2 switches bathroom combo
    This was supposed to be easy. The light switches had all black wires attached and the sockets had all white with a black wire coming from the switch. The question I have is how do I wire the sockets,
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
    Need more info. What kind of socket are you wiring ? What was wired at this location before? How many wires are in the junction box?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
    I agree, we need to know what you are doing and what you did to/with the old lights. The blacks to the switches are hot wires interrupted by the switch, there is no white/neutral with a switch. Sockets/lights have a black/hot and white /neutral with the black being supplied from the "out" side of the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a switch plug combo [ 4 Answers ]

I have a box with two switches - one to a light and one to a ceiling exhaust fan. I want to install a switch plug combo in place of the single switch that controls the light fixture. I bought one that has four connectors and a ground, but there are only two wires to the light switch. I'm fine...

Bathroom light/fan combo on separate switches [ 8 Answers ]

I want my new bathroom light/fan combo to work off separate switches. I have the two switches installed and the cables run to the fixture. My power wire is at the fixture as well. I just cannot figure out how to wire this thing so the light is on one switch and the fan another.

Wiring bath fan with light/fan combo. Want to operate them on separate switches. [ 1 Answers ]

I have power wire with a black/white/ ground. The switches have their own wires with Black/ White wires. The fan unit has two plugs one for the fan with a blue wire and a white wire, and the light has a black wire and a white wire.

Bathroom fan/light combo with two separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

Not the same question :) 1) I have a vanity light switch. 2) I have a separate switch controlling the fan/light seperately; i.e. the fan/light come on together, only when the vanity light is on. I replaced the fan unit but did not pay attention to the old wiring... a two wire line comes from the...

Replacing old outlets and switches - with pics [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are remodeling our condo. We would like to update all the outlets and light switches in our place. I ran into a problem with a few outlets and light switches though. I've never dealt with wiring like this. #1 problem: In our kitchen, we have one box that has an outlet (black,...

View more questions Search