Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shugi Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Leaking jacuzzi Tub Drain
    I have a 4 yr old jacuzzi tub. It appears to be leaking around the rim where the pvc pipe connects to the drain on the tub. It is leaking into my furnace room, and I can see and kind of get to the drain. I was going to caulk around the rim where the pipe connects to the tub. I was wondering of there was a better way to stop this leak?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2005, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shugi
    I have a 4 yr old jacuzzi tub. It appears to be leaking around the rim where the pvc pipe connects to the drain on the tub. It is leaking into my furnace room, and I can see and kind of get to the drain. I was going to caulk around the rim where the pipe connects to the tub. I was wondering of there was a better way to stop this leak?
    I'm a little confused about where the leak is leaking. From under the rim of the chrome drain? From where the tub shoe connects into the tee. From where the tailpiece connects to the trap? When I know exactly where the leak's located I'll be able to help. Regards, Tom

May 20, 2005, 10:22 AM
    I see water dropping from the connection between the pipe that covers the whole on the tub where the drain is. I don't know the exact termanoligy. It appears this connects right to the drain. 12 inch above trap
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2005, 10:37 AM
    I see water dropping from the connection between the pipe that covers the whole on the tub where the drain is. I don't know the exact termanoligy. It appears this connects right to the drain. 12 inch above trap

Then this would be the lip of the chrome drain where the water drains out first? The water's seeping out just under the drain hole in the tub? Is this correct? Tom

May 20, 2005, 10:48 AM
    That is correct. I see only the underside of the tub, Water is dripping from where the pvc would meet any piece put in from the top. I am assuming this is the chrome piece you are referring to. Any advice would be appreciated
    Rich
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2005, 11:21 AM
    That is correct. I see only the underside of the tub, Water is dripping from where the pvc would meet any piece put in from the top. I am assuming this is the chrome peice you are refering to. Any advice would be appreciated
    Rich

Gotcha Rich,

What's happened here is the seal between the lip of the chrome drain and the tub hole has been breached and does not hold water any more.
    To repair this you will have to go underneath the tub and loosen the nut that secures the drain just enough to lift the drain up from the tub about 1/2".
    Now clean the old seal from the bottom of the lip. Now run a rope of plumbers putty or silicon caulk around the tub where the lip will seat. Now tighten the nut and squeeze out the excess. Clean the excess out, close the drain and run some water in the tub. Open then drain and check for leaks. Good luck, Tom

May 20, 2005, 11:29 AM
    Just to clairify, I loosen the nut holding the pipe under the tub. Then go to the top of the tub and pull the drain up a little and clean the seal. Then take the plumbers putty or silicon from above and put it on the drain from above, then push down. Then take the pipe from below and tighten the nut. Then cross my fingers and run the water.

Thanks for all the help
    Rich
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2005, 12:16 PM
    just to clairify, I loosen the nut holding the pipe under the tub. Then go to the top of the tub and pull the drain up a little and clean the seal. Then take the plumbers putty or silicon from above and put it on the drain from above, then push down. Then take the pipe from below and tighten the nut. Then cross my fingers and run the water.

Thanks for all the help
    Rich
    Ya got it Rich,
    Let me know how you make out. Tom

May 20, 2005, 12:25 PM
    Thanks
    Speedball1 Thanks

Rich

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain pipe leaking [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: under my kitchen I have drain pipes that run to a large pipe that goes down into ground.I have no idea what this called(sorry)where the drain pipe and this large pipeconnect is leaking.How do I repair this?

Shower drain leaking [ 3 Answers ]

When I was starting shower upstairs then there was a leaking in garage ceiling. So I ripped the garage ceiling and found out that there is small brass pipe which connect to shower pipe and other pipe. This small pipe joint with shower drain pipe is leaking. I called the plumber he told me that he...

Leaking Jacuzzi [ 2 Answers ]

My jacuzzi is upstairs in my master suite. I noticed last night that it is leaking (drips) to the ceiling below, which is the dining room. Can anyone tell me how the repair can be made and how much this may cost me? Should I call a plumber or one of my area's jacuzzi dealer?

Leaking of drain from shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that my shower drain was leaking under house. I don't know much about plumbing but want to know what could cause this and how it can be fixed. Thanks

Fiberglass Jacuzzi Tub Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drain leak on my fiberglass jacuzzi tub. I have removed the metal drain from the tub and cleaned it, cleaned the rubber washer on top of the PVC drain pipe, and applied a new coat of plumbers putty to the metal drain before reinstalling it. I still have a small leak coming from where the...

View more questions Search