Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlorentzen1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
    My son lives in Florida with his wife. He wants to come back to Michigan without her.
    My son lives in Florida with his wife. He wants to come back to Michigan without his wife but does not want to get introuble for abandonment of his children. How can he protect his rights? This is a troubled marriage and he has tried for eight years to make it work with his wife of 1 year. He has no friends or family in Florida, that is why he wants to come home. She is always threatening to call the cops and throw him in jail

Troubled mom
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
    He can divorce her, and seek both custody/visitation, and child support orders, and comply with them to avoid being accused of abandonment.
    KnowAll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 11:40 AM
    He can find an attorney in Florida, initiate proceedings and move to another state. If he proceeds legally, there is no restriction to where he would want to move and pursue his life
    mlorentzen1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 11:46 AM
    Can he file in Michigan instead of Florida? Can he just file for separation until he has the money for divorce?

Would it be considered abandonment if he waits to file in Michigan? How long does he have to file for separation and then divorce? I have seen separation websites/paperwork on the internet, are they legally binding?

Also he is the primary care provider for the children as his wife works. Can he collect alimony for the time he spent caring for the children?
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Sure he can ask for it but if he gets it, I'm sure it will be at least partially offset by the child support he will be ordered to pay. He must file in the state in which he is a resident. He either needs to do this correctly to ensure the best outcome for his CHILDREN and himself, or leave it alone. A consultation with an attorney would be a good place to start.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlorentzen1 View Post
    Also he is the primary care provider for the children as his wife works. Can he collect alimony for the time he spent caring for the children?
    No. Alimony is awarded for after when the spouses are divorced or at least separated. He cannot get it for the when they were living together as husband and wife.
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlorentzen1 View Post
    Would it be considered abandonment if he waits to file in Michigan? ...
    In most states, "abandonment" means leaving children without an adult to look after them. As far as I know, Alabama is the only state that has attached a different meaning to the term. There, it is the term they use for criminal non-support.

In any case, he will not have abandoned his children if he continues to support and remain in contact with them.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    In most states, "abandonment" means leaving children without an adult to look after them. As far as I know, Alabama is the only state that has attached a different meaning to the term. There, it is the term they use for criminal non-support.

In any case, he will not have abandoned his children if he continues to support and remain in contact with them.
    Other states include Georgia and Texas that also have it as a definition attatched to parental responsibility.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2011, 04:22 PM
    Ok, first, he can't file in MI until he establishes residency. The requirement is 180 days. If the wife files against him in Florida before he can file in MI, then FL will have jurisdiction.

So he would be better off filing in FL. Since he is the primary caregiver he can ask for custody and child support.

But the big problem is she is likely to get liberal visitation which would keep him in FL. So, if he wants to remain primary custodian to the children he is probably going to have to stay in FL.
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Ok, first, he can't file in MI until he establishes residency. The requirement is 180 days. ...
    If he wants to ask for custody in a Michigan court, the children would have to be in Michigan for 6 months first.

As I understand the question, having to do with "abandonment", he is not contemplating taking the children with him. So, although it is conceivable that custody be litigated in Florida and all other aspects of the divorce be litigated in Michigan, I don't think the respective courts will go for that.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2011, 07:21 AM
    Clearly I did something wrong by suggesting an attorney consultation. Oops.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My adult son w/wife and child moved back home [ 7 Answers ]

When my oldest son moved back home with his new wife and daughter; their plan was to live with us and save money to make a downpayment on a home in the near future. His mother and I want to help them but it has been very stressful. I live and work overseas so my wife is busting her chops not only...

State Filing where husband lives in PA, wife lives in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

In 2008, my husband lived and worked in PA, while I worked in PA, but lived in NJ. We would like to file jointly for our federal taxes, but are not sure how to file for the state taxes. Should I file MFS for my NJ taxes, and he file MFS for his PA taxes or should we file using another option?

Moving back in with my ex wife and son - Child Support? [ 1 Answers ]

We've been divorced for a few months but have been a couple for 15 years. Was due to infidelity but she has come to terms with it. I am truly sorry and have learned a big life lesson. My question is, it is better for us to live together and be a family for our son, we do get along great but,...

View more questions Search