Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yonghehong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Husband( IL resident)+wife ( F1 in Michigan), how to file state income tax
    Dear Sir or Madamn,

My case is as the following:

Husband( IL resident)+wife ( F1 in Michigan originally from China and arrived in US in Auguest, 2007)

We file federal tax jointly because my husband is a US permanently resident in Illinois.
    However we have great difficulty in preparing for our state income tax. I am a F-1 student from China but I have income in Michigan as a graduate assistant in the school which is located in Michigan. Illinois does not require the couple who file federal jointly to file the state income tax jointly. However Michigan does require. Do we need to file state income tax jointly both in Illinois and Michigan? And If I file Michigan income tax, who should be the filler and the spouse.(As in the federal, my husband is the filler and I am the spouse).

Besides IL and Michigan have reciprocal treatments. Does it apply to our case, sine I am the non resident from China and my husband is a permanent resident of Illinois.

Thanks a lot!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 12:54 AM
    File joint return for both the states.
    In IL your husband is resident and you are nonresident. You will pay tax only on your husband's income.
    In Michigan, you are resident and your husband in nonresident. You will pay tax only on your own income.
    yonghehong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Thank you very much!

But the point is that I am not a resident of Michigan. According to Michigan Income tax requirements, I am classified into the non resident. I am a F-1 student from China. And I go to university in Michigan from September, 2007.

So how should I file then?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

Do I need to file a state income tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

If I & my spouse are classified as US residents, but live 10 months. Of the year in another country receiving pay from a state in the US, do we need to file a state income tax return, or only a federal income tax?

State tax for CPT in NY and school in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student from India on the f-1 status.I went to school in Michigan in 2007 and worked in NYC on a CPT in the summer of 2007.I am confused about which states do I need to file state taxes for? 1.Do I have to file taxes as a Michigan resident or a non -resident(Since I am not a us...

Can F1 Wife file tax with H1 Husband [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F1 international student currently on OPT. My husband is in H1B. I had an assistantship at school last year and I was a teaching assistant. Can I file my tax returns with my husband as married filing tax separately. My husband paid my school fees last year. Can I show that for...

Turbo tax doubles my income in the resident state [ 1 Answers ]

I live in MA and work in RI. I use turbo tax to figure my income taxes. I did my federal first, then RI then MA. For some reason it's doubling my income in MA. Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

View more questions Search