Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kahensle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Rotational inertia of the Frisbee
    A 108 g Frisbee is 28 cm in diameter and has about half its mass spread uniformly in a disk, and the other half concentrated in the rim. With a quarter-turn flick of the wrist, a student sets the Frisbee rotating at 550 rpm.
    (a) What is the rotational inertia of the Frisbee?
    _________ kg·m2
    (b) What is the magnitude of the torque, assumed constant, that the student applies?
    _________ N·m
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Oct 30, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kahensle
    A 108 g Frisbee is 28 cm in diameter and has about half its mass spread uniformly in a disk, and the other half concentrated in the rim. With a quarter-turn flick of the wrist, a student sets the Frisbee rotating at 550 rpm.
    (a) What is the rotational inertia of the Frisbee?
    _________ kg·m2
    (b) What is the magnitude of the torque, assumed constant, that the student applies?
    _________ N·m
    I am going to give you hints for mass 2m, diameter 2r

You can find tables for moments of inertia in any physics book:

For the rim: mr^2

for the rest of the disc: 1/2 mr^2

Add the two and you get I, total moment of inertia.

Calculate w, the angular velocity

Kinetic Energy attained = 1/2 I w^2

This should equal Work Done = Torque times 1/4 circumference

Now you can calculate Torque!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moments of inertia etc - :confusion: [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm in year 12 in england taking my advanced level in physics, however my understanding of moments is confused. I understand the clockwise turning moment needs to equal the anti-clockwise moment, however when I look at any question that involves 2 pivots or a change in the center of...

Moment of inertia [ 2 Answers ]

what is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere with mass 5 kg and radius .5m I know the equation is 2/3mR^2 but I don't know how to include the units

What is Ultimate Frisbee? [ 1 Answers ]

I just saw it on the list of subjects, and thought it looked cool. So... what is it and how do you play?

Simple Rotational motion question [ 1 Answers ]

I've been getting help from sparknotes.com and I've come across an example that has stumped me. The page is at http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter10section4.rhtml I'm at example 2 (toward the bottom of the page). The problem comes when they use Newton's second law...

View more questions Search