Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gentleone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Being sued from no fault auto accident
    I had an auto accident back in February. At the time, I thought I had liability auto insurance. Come to find out my insurance had lapsed and I knew nothing about it. It was raining and I tried to stop behind the car in front of me, who was stopped at a traffic light. Their was no way I could miss her. My car started skidding down the hill and I ran into her right rear fender/bumper.The other driver was able to move her car to the side of the road as I did also. Well, when she got a copy of the accident report she called and left a message on my cell phone and let me know that I did not have any insurance and she was taking me to court to sue me and get the money to pay for her damages to her car.
    I do not know what to do because I git a summons to court and the cost is $4,421.00 in damages and I am a single Mom and I do not know where I will get this kind of money. A friend of mine told me since she put on the reason why she is suing me is because her insurance comp. told her too and she has no-fault ins. Neither one of us got a ticket at the scene but a week or two later I got a ticket for no ins. Please someone explain this to me because right now I'm worried about this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
    First this is not "no fault" you were at fault, you hit her and she is to expect you to pay.

Yes she most likely has coverage for a non-insured accident, but why should her insurance pay, it will raise her rates and the such when she is at NO FAULT. She is expecting you to pay because you are suppose to pay.

And what will happen is if you don't pay this, you can have your drivers license suspended and not get it back until you pay for the accident.

If she had turned it into her car insurance, they would pay for the wreck if she had full coverage insurance, but then the insurance company would be sueing you instead of her.

So after the court date, and she wins ( and she will) she can attach your bank accounts, garnish your wages ( depending on where you live)

So of course the other driver can get their money at about 25 percent of your pay check till it is paid off.

And yes you need to worry, since unless a good paymnet plan is in place, it is very likely you will lose your drivers license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this accident my fault? [ 11 Answers ]

OK so I was making a left hand turn and I was suppose to yeld but I didn't see this car and she cliped my back bumper is it still my falt if it was that back of the car oo and it was ice outside so she couldn't stop and that's why she hit me. :confused: :(

Car accident not at fault [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I need advise please. I was involved ina car accident 2 months ago. It was not my fault . On the day of the accident I had my 22 month old son with me t,he paramedics arrive but I refuse to go to the hospital because I didn't have any insurance. Also I had just purchased that car and I was...

Is this accident my fault? [ 6 Answers ]

OK I was involved in an accident last night. It was nighttime and it was snowing heavily in a town that very rarely gets snow. I Was driving up hill and I began sliding over into the oncoming lane. I became stuck about a third over the white line on the far left side of the road and about 2 3rds...

What Happens If Its My Fault In An Auto Accident [ 5 Answers ]

Question 1: OK if I don't have auto insurance and I hit someone who is insured and its my fault and the two children in the back seat of her car are injured but not seriously are not the drivers children can I be sued by both parties by the driver and by the parents of the children Question 2: ...

Proof of Insurance for a no-fault auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently involved in an accident. Unfortunately, my insurance lapsed. I have witnesses that claim the accident was not my fault. However, since I did not have insurance at the time, I do not know what I may be liable for. If I can prove the accident was not my fault, will that mean I will not...

View more questions Search