Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgfoster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Trane XE 1200 heat pump not cooling well.
    My Trane XE 1200 unit (2001) has really been struggling since the temperature has increased to the 90's. It works very hard to cool only a few degrees. The compressor is an outside unit and the air handler is in the attic. Today when I got home it took 2 hours to cool 3 degrees from 87 to 84. At the compressor one of the lines freezes up. The air blows from the vents but is not very cool. When I turned the unit off last week the air handler drained a bucket of water into the catch basin. Do I have a leak at the compressor since it is freezing? Does the unit need to be recharged since the air is not very cool or refridgerant is low? The max amp is 35amp and the current breaker is at 30 amp. I have never tripped the breaker.

Thanks!
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:49 PM
    You may have a problem but never set your thermostat up to 87 degrees and expect it to cool down quick in the heat of the day. It won't do it. On the breaker its not the max you need to worry about(your covered) it's the minimum. But if its never thrown its not a issue either. Unit frosting or freezing in the SUMMER months is a problem.
    jgfoster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 08:39 PM

What does frosting indicate?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 08:44 PM
    The system is operating at lower temperature and/or pressure than it is designed to. Either the indoor coil is starved for airflow or the refrigerant charge is low.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL20i heat pump requires Trane 900 series thermostat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if the Trane XL20i heat pump requires the use of Trane's 900 series thermostat or if a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat can be used.

Trane XE 1200 Heat Pump [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE 1200 Heat Pump and am trying to install a programmable Honeywell RTH7500 thermostat and have an extra wire. The previous thermostat was a manual Trane. I connected the Blue wire to the C terminal, the Yellow wire to the Y terminal, the Green wire to the G terminal, the Orange...

Trane xl 1200 not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

I have a trane xl 1200 heat pump that is blowing but the air is not cold. Does anyone have an answer.

My trane xl 1200 will not reverse into cool. It will not come out of heat cycle. [ 1 Answers ]

My trane xl 1200 is stuk in heat. Will not go into cool. It is like the reverse vale is bad. Can you help me

Heat pump not cooling well [ 8 Answers ]

We have a heat-pump and had to have a new capacitor installed about 2 months ago, because the outside fan would not run. It's been working great ever since until yesterday. I noticed the tempature has elevated and the air flow seems good. I replace filter monthly, and put a new one in again. The...

View more questions Search