Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annica13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Stuck shower stem/bonnet nut
    I'm trying to remove the shower stem so that I can take it to a home improvement store and find a replacement. I have a shower stem socket that I am attempting to remove the bonnet nut with, but it won't budge at all, no matter how much leverage I try to apply to it! I'm not sure if maybe I am just not strong enough, or if there is a trick to it? The stem looks pretty worn to me, and maybe the parts have been in place so long that they are stuck there? Any tips on how I can remove this stubborn nut?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2007, 11:43 AM
    I am putting up a image of a shower valve. Notice that it isn't the bonnet packing nut that you must remove. It's the larger stem and washer restraining nut that you need to remove. Did you back the stem out a bit before you attempted to unscrew the retaining nut? Some WD-40 on the threads might help. Good luck, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Kissler & Co., Inc.
    If it is a kohler with square handles it is a kohler 'trend' faucet. It takes a 6 point 1/2" drive deep well socket to remove it. Remove the plastic parts so the socket will go over the stem.
    dwightwilson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by annica13
    I'm trying to remove the shower stem so that I can take it to a home improvement store and find a replacement. I have a shower stem socket that I am attempting to remove the bonnet nut with, but it won't budge at all, no matter how much leverage I try to apply to it! I'm not sure if maybe I am just not strong enough, or if there is a trick to it? The stem looks pretty worn to me, and maybe the parts have been in place so long that they are stuck there? Any tips on how I can remove this stubborn nut?
    Get a plumber
    candlecutter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Comment on dwightwilson's post
    For a do it yourselfer, this is not helpful...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower stem stuck [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I am trying to replace washer on the bottom of a stem because shower leaks. It's not hot or cold, but on/off handle in the middle. Anyway, I bought the tool to get the packing nut off, but now I can't budge the stem. Is there a trick to it? Maybe I don't have enough strength in my hands. ...

American Standard Diverter Stem Stuck [ 16 Answers ]

I have a circa 1965 AS Heritage in the wall 3-handle tub/shower fixture. I believe it's a Hertitage Model "N 1012" or N 1020". The diverter works spoaratically - the water flows to the shower, but then abruptly stops. With the diverter arrow pointing down for the tub water flows just fine. The...

Stuck valve stem [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove the valve stem in the shower (hot water) and I can't get the stem to come out. The piece that has the flat sides (only 2) I believe is supposed to unscrew and it won't budge. I would like to avoid breaking it but it won't budge. What can I try?

Shower stem [ 1 Answers ]

How can I remove a hard to get out shower stem

Nut stuck on threads [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace the J-joint in my basement laundry room sink, and the nut on the old piece broke - part of it is still on the pipe going to the sink. I've tried spraying it with WD40, but it won't budge. A friend suggested heating it. Any other ideas?

View more questions Search