Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmendoza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Stuck valve stem - yes, I did remove the Packing Nut...
    I'm trying to repair a Bathtub faucet (1950s?)

I've removed everything (cap, screw, handle, escutcheon & packing nut) on both hot and cold handles, but cannot get them stems out.

I've turned them counter clockwise and no dice. I've just sprayed the inside (between stem and tubing?) with WD40, put the packing nuts back on and am letting them sit overnight to see if that helps.

Any thoughts? Special tools? Am I doing something wrong?
    Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Carlos
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Hi Carlos

You probably figured this out by now, but you probably also have to remove the GLAND body of the stem assembly. Here, there is a large nut-like assembly behind the packing nut (the gland body) and that also needs to be removed to access the stem assembly. If you can see the large gland then you can spin it off using pliers. If you can't see the gland then you may need to purchase a plumber's stem removal tool set (about $12.00) to remove the nut... ;)

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

cmendoza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2013, 09:03 AM
    Thank you Mark!

While I'm reasonably handy, it never occurred to me that their was such a thing as a "gland body" and none of my basic plumbing books showed a compression style faucet like the one you provided in your photo. Gland body is out and I'm in the process of replacing the washer.

Many thanks!

BTW, you'll find a small token of my appreciating in your Paypal account!

Thanks again,
    Carlos
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2013, 10:04 AM
    Thank you for what I consider to be a very generous "token of appreciation" in my account. I appreciate that very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a stuck packing nut off copper water supply [ 1 Answers ]

I put in a new vanity, new faucet, the shut off valve leaks a tad so I bought a new one but I can't get the old one off,the part where it connects to the copper water supply in the wall,the nut is stuck and I don't want to break any of the plumbing trying to get it off.

How to remove "stuck" valve stem from shower faucet [ 6 Answers ]

I have followed instructions for disassembling the faucet in order to replace the washer (to stop dripping). However, after removing the packing nut, I cannot seem to get the valve stem assembly to come out by turning clockwise (also tried the other direction). I tried grip lock pliers, but it...

How do I remove stem from shower valve to change washer once I remove the clip [ 0 Answers ]

I have a continuous leak in my shower from my washer being bad, I have the hot and cold knob off and I have the clip holding stem in place removed. I bought tool to remove stem but it is not coming off. Can you please give me any suggestion?

How to remove "stuck" valve stem from shower faucet? [ 0 Answers ]

I saw this same question but the answer was not helpful. We have removed the collar and plate and using a shower valve socket wrench we are unable to remove the Diverter stem for the shower (Gerber). Any suggestions? We were also unable to remove the hot water seat with a seat wrench.

Stuck shower stem/bonnet nut [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove the shower stem so that I can take it to a home improvement store and find a replacement. I have a shower stem socket that I am attempting to remove the bonnet nut with, but it won't budge at all, no matter how much leverage I try to apply to it! I'm not sure if maybe I am just...

View more questions Search