Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2023, 04:16 AM
    MAGA Make Argentina Great Again
    In a landslide win ; free market economist Javier Milei won the Presidential election over his Peronista opponent Sergio Massa. He campaigned on free market economic reforms that the compliant press calls "radical " . They call him a "far right radical " too. He is not . The Slimes calls him Argentina's Donald Trump . He is not .

Far-right outsider Javier Milei wins Argentina’s presidency

Argentina election results: Milei wins, Massa concedes in presidential run-off vote | CNN

Javier Milei’s Presidential Win Is Argentina’s Donald Trump Moment - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

If he needs to be classified he would be a libertarian reformer.

"Today begins the reconstruction of Argentina. Today begins the end of Argentina's decline. The model of decadence has come to an end. Argentina will return to its place in the world that it should never have lost. We are going to work shoulder-to-shoulder with all the nations of the free world, to help build a better world. Our key words are limited government, respect of property rights and free trade.”

A couple of potential impacts

Milei wants to reverse Argentina’s 143% annual inflation rate by adopting the dollar as its de facto currency. The local peso has lost about 90% of its value against the dollar on the black market in the last four years.
    BRICS: Argentina to Replace Peso With US Dollar (watcher.guru)

He has called China an assassin regime
    China Congratulates Argentina’s Milei Despite ‘Assassin’ Insult (yahoo.com)

He vows to reduce trade with the country that has dominated the Argentina lithium and shale production; and operates a military space station in the country without giving Argentina access .
    China’s mysterious space station in Argentina | Synergia Foundation

A lesson for American free market advocates ;his model has attracted the youth of the country .
    Argentina elections: Javier Milei wins over young people | openDemocracy

He campaigned with a chair saw to demonstrate how he will cut the size of the government

His election bucks the trend south of the border that has seen the Chavismo model win in Brazil and Colombia.

As for comparisons to Trump
    He is free market

Trump is protectionist and government big works projects .

He wants sound fiscal policies .

Trump loves Keynesian loose money policies He urged the Fed to lower an already low Federal interest rate while he was President .

He is anti-abortion

Trump is at best ambiguous and shifts with the wind on the issue .
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2023, 04:48 AM
    Milei said the Falklands are the property of Argentina.

UK responds to Argentina new president’s pledge to ‘get back’ Falkland Islands | The Independent

That is just populist rhetoric . It will be years for him to be able to do anything about it . He claims to want to negotiate their possession and that currently a military solution is not on the table.

UK does not help themselves by becoming a 3rd rate military. I wonder if they have the fleet capacity to protect the islands.

Could we defend the Falklands with current Armed Forces? (telegraph.co.uk)
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2023, 06:00 AM
    I wonder if they have the fleet capacity to protect the islands.
    Interesting thought. They currently have the two largest carriers in British history, both being new and carrying F-35 aircraft, so they would be a good bit more capable than what Thatcher sent in the 80's. The Brits might want to ask themselves what purpose the Falklands serve.
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2023, 02:53 AM
    He had to claim the Falklands . No Argentine leader could survive without that rhetoric.

The Brits will never give them up.
    Why ?
    Gives them claims to energy reserves in the oceans around the islands and fishing claims in the area

They also need it to make a claim on the Antarctic continent. To make claims on the continent you must have territory with frontage near the continent. 7 countries have claims .....(Argentina, Australia, Chile, France , New Zealand, Norway, and the United Kingdom) Other countries without claims operate on the continent also . The Falklands being a Brit territory gives their claim a little more weight. France has a strip of a claim based on discovery of the coast line but otherwise does not have frontage.

Anyway having said what he said ;Melei can now concentrate on domestic reform. Good luck . The legislature is still dominated by Peronistas .
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2023, 05:52 AM
    Milei met with Bubba Clintoon in NYC yesterday . Today he is meeting in DC with the IMF (Argentina is the biggest debtor nation ) and with WH officials including Nat Sec Advisor Jake the snake Sullivan and Treasury officials .

Argentina's right-wing president-elect to meet with a top Biden adviser | AP News

Clueless Joe is in Atlanta to attend Rosalynn Carter's funeral . Kam the Sham will also attend. I'm surprised both are attending .I had thought that Clueless Joe was going to skip the memorial services . If something tragic happened to them it would mean Mike Johnson becomes President .
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2023, 06:02 AM
    Milei is turning into a Trump like dictator .

He issues a Necessity and Urgency Decree (DNU the equivalent of our President's Executive Orders ) that takes many steps to deregulate the country. Yeah loosening laws is things all dictators do.

Milei announces decree to deregulate economy and boost exports in Argentina - DatamarNews

The compliant press of course calls this a trampling of worker rights and protections . Call it Milei Derangement Syndrome. Protesters chanted “Milei! You’re garbage! You are the dictatorship!”

Amid Crackdown on Protests, Argentines Take to the Streets Against Austerity | Truthout

What was the immediate impact ? Food prices dropped by 15% overnight

DutchLibertarian on X: "Argentina News: After the deregulation measures from Javier Milei, food prices have dropped by 15% https://t.co/OSmG8RJ77n" / X (twitter.com)

If that is a dictatorship we can all use more of it .
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2023, 06:33 AM
    Milei is turning into a Trump like dictator .
    You lost me on that one. Tongue in cheek?
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2023, 06:37 AM
    of course forgot the </sarc>
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2023, 06:40 AM
    Good to hear. You have some good posts today. Been busy!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clueless goes MAGA at SOTU Address [ 7 Answers ]

Not so quietly the President has been doing a pivot to the middle as a pre-election ploy to Trojan Horse the American people into thinking he is not as radical as his policies are. He is "blue collar Joe " again.Gone were the cultural issues that dominated 2022 .Gone was the great gas stove...

The Trojan MAGA candidate in PA ? Primary day [ 4 Answers ]

I commented about candidate Kathy Barnette ;who is a very compelling and interesting candidate for the Republican primary for Senate in PA Deep state swamp infiltrates SCOTUS - Page 10 (askmehelpdesk.com) She claims to be a conservative MAGA candidate . But Trump is endorsing Dr Oz She...

How can I make my relationship go great? [ 5 Answers ]

I try being there 24/7 for her but I think that's not enough. What else can I do to make it a great relationship?

J1 from Argentina [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to explain my personal situation, and then, let me please know what do you suggest Background: I arrived to USA with my wife and daughter on Oct 22, 2007 under a J1 (I got some money from my country to stay there for 3 months). I started to be paid with a USA founds on...

Teaching ESL in Argentina/Chile [ 0 Answers ]

I have ESL teaching experience in the U.S. and in Asia and am interested in finding a position in Argentina or Chile. If anyone can post information regarding web sites or other venues devoted to that topic, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

View more questions Search