Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2023, 06:02 AM
    Nikki's blunder
    Tim Scott bowed out . Will Nikki be next ? She made a major blunder which she probably won't back track

She came down hard on social media She called for them to release their algorithms

Then she made the very disturbing proposition .......

“The second thing is, every person on social media should be verified, by their name. That’s, first of all, it’s a national security threat. When you do that, all of a sudden, people have to stand by what they say.”

Here is a very basic lesson for Nikki ;the 1st amendment guarantees anonymous speech also . It is too easy to mention that the founders of our nation were very fond of pseudonyms when they published . The authors of the Federalist Papers went by the name Publius in honor of Publius Valerius Publicola ;the founder of the Roman Republic. Hamilton also wrote under the name ']Phocion'..Some of the anti-Federalist published their case under the name 'Brutus' .

And of course it has recently been revealed that American politicians regularly use pseudonyms in their daily correspondence,

What is protected speech for our leaders is surely protected speech for the people too.

The governments of our nation take way too many liberties in the name of security .

This week NY Guv Kathy Hochul announced that the state
    'ramped up” its social media surveillance due to surging antisemitism.

“We’re very focused on the data we’re collecting from surveillance efforts, what’s being said on social media platforms,” “We have launched an effort to be able to counter some of the negativity and reach out to people when we see hate speech being spoken about on online platforms.

This proves that the issue is a bi-partisan one. Whether they have an R or a D behind their names ;this tendency toward authoritarianism must be opposed.

If you need a reason for name verification then look no further than at the election franchise.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2023, 06:24 AM
    “The second thing is, every person on social media should be verified, by their name. That’s, first of all, it’s a national security threat. When you do that, all of a sudden, people have to stand by what they say.”
    Liberal dem in republican sheep's clothing.

“We have launched an effort to be able to counter some of the negativity and reach out to people when we see hate speech being spoken about on online platforms."
    We'll be back to a truth czar. It's the same approach the Nazis had.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2023, 03:52 PM
    Nikki has it so wrong. Given all the abuse that has been discovered by the Fed Guv the REAL national security constitutional and liberty concern is empowering the government to suppress speech .
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2023, 04:50 AM
    She is in retreat on her blunder

By Wednesday, Haley had somewhat amended her stance. Asked on CNBC if she was advocating a ban on all anonymous social media posts, Haley said that, while she believed “life would be more civil if we were able to do that,” she was focused on foreign-based actors, not U.S. citizens.
    “I don’t mind anonymous American people having free speech; what I don’t like is anonymous Russians and Chinese and Iranians having free speech,” Haley said, not explaining how she would recommend that social media companies parse those users.
    Nikki Haley walks back demand that social media ban anonymous posters | AP News

Mittens Romney's big money man, Spencer Zwick, appears to be backing Nikki according to Axios

Top Republican donor Spencer Zwick joins NIkki Haley’s team (axios.com)

Also behind the scenes she has had contact with JP Morgan's Jamie Dimon who is a Dem.

Looks like Nikki could be the swamp alternative to Trump.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2023, 05:44 AM
    “I don’t mind anonymous American people having free speech;
    It's hard to describe how reassuring it is to find that NH "doesn't mind" it when Americans exercise free speech. [SARC]
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2023, 02:17 PM
    Nikki Haley: “I don’t mind anonymous American people having free speech;
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It's hard to describe how reassuring it is to find that NH "doesn't mind" it when Americans exercise free speech. [SARC]
    Um, the operant word she used is "anonymous". Also, "having" vs. "exercise" - two very different situations.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2023, 03:26 PM
    It's not an issue of whether some government official "minds" if we exercise free speech. It's none of their business. I don't care if she "minds" or not, and whether the person is anonymous or not. It's just not the government's affair unless the person is advocating for violence or something extreme like that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 16, 2023, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It's not an issue of whether some government official "minds" if we exercise free speech. It's none of their business. I don't care if she "minds" or not, and whether the person is anonymous or not. It's just not the government's affair unless the person is advocating for violence or something extreme like that.
    Well, you are the one who pointed it out with [SARC].
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2023, 03:45 AM
    keep in mind that the comment that she "doesn't mind "Americans being anonymous on social media is a back track after she was pummeled for her initial comment that Americans should not have such a right on social media. Even with that said her instinct is for the government to exercise power over social media which has essentially become the town square of the 21st century .

The Town Square Test :

"If a person cannot walk into the middle of the town square and express his or her views without fear of arrest, imprisonment, or physical harm, then that person is living in a fear society, not a free society. " (Natan Sharansky 'The Case for Democracy' )

Here's a thought for Nikki . In order to have my right as an American to have anonymous speech wouldn't I have to identify myself by name under her plan ?

Here's another thought Nikki The remedy for false information is more information . Our government's attempts to suppress false information fuels it's effectiveness. Conspiracy theories about government suppression work because the government so often exercises suppression of the truth.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2023, 05:56 AM
    A responsible, unbiased news media would be a great help in this regard. There was a time when people felt Walter Cronkite and CBS news could be trusted. That time has come and gone.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2023, 06:28 AM
    Cronkite's biases were well disguised .The truth is that he too reported slanted news.
    New Biography of CBS Newsman Walter Cronkite Dents His Halo (newsweek.com)

Behind the scenes he championed Bobby Kennedy's 1968 run for the Presidency to help America get out of Vietnam. During the Tet offensive major US victory he declared to the nation that the war was a lost cause. "it seems now more certain than ever that the bloody experience of Vietnam is to end in a stalemate,"

This was a major reason why LBJ announced he would not seek reelection. But Cronkite was manipulating the coverage for that outcome.

Media misrepresentation came to a decisive head in the handling of the Vietcong ‘Tet Offensive’ on January 30, 1968. The military position at this time was that the Americans and their Vietnamese allies, having strongly established themselves in all the urban centers of the South, were winning important successes in the countryside too. That persuaded the Communists to change their tactics, and try their first major offensive in the open. On the first day of Tet, the lunar New Year holiday previously observed as a truce, their units attacked five of Vietnam’s six cities, most of its provincial and district capitals, and fifty hamlets. The Vietnam forces and units of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN), though taken by surprise, responded quickly. Within a week they had regained all the ground the attackers had won, exceptin one town, Hue, which was not retaken until February 24. Media coverage concentrated on the fact that the Vietcong enjoyed initial successes in attacking the Government Palace in Saigon, the airport, and the US embassy compound, and the cameras focused on the continued fighting in Hue rather than US successes elsewhere. In military terms, the Tet Offensive was the worst reverse the Vietcong suffered throughout the war: they lost over 40,000 of their best troops and a great number of heavy weapons. But the media, especially TV, presented it as a decisive American defeat, a Vietcong victory on the scale of Dien Bien Phu.

An elaborate study of the coverage, conducted in 1977, showed exactly how this reversal of the truth, which was not on the whole deliberate, came about- If media misrepresentation of the Tet Offensive was the immediate cause of LBJ’s decision to quit, both office and Vietnam, more fundamental still was its presentation of any decisive and forceful act of the Johnson White House as in some inescapable sense malevolent. The media was teaching the American people to hate their chief executive precisely because he took executive decision
    Hist 1302 exam 4 - Copy - Lecture Notes - HIST 1302 History of the U. II Summer Dr. Gerald Betty - Studocu

And that's the way it is .

I prefer biased reporting as long as all sides have access to the market of ideas . The slogans by networks and news outlets like the Slimes 'All the news that's fit to print or Fox 'Fair and Balanced ' is rubbish.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2023, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Conspiracy theories about government suppression work because the government so often exercises suppression of the truth.
    And that's true no matter who's piloting the boat.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2023, 09:20 AM
    And that's true no matter who's piloting the boat.
    I think that's a little too simplistic, but one way or the other, it's a good reason to keep the federal government very limited in size. The smaller it is, the less damage it can do.

Perhaps even better, the American people need a revival of sorts in a love of the truth.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2023, 09:57 AM
    During the Tet offensive major US victory he declared to the nation that the war was a lost cause.
    I think it would be safe to say that by that time, there was no room anymore for a "victory". The American people had figured out that the NVA would never give up the fight and that we would be there fighting for many years to come. War weariness dictated pulling out while salvaging what little honor could still be had. The North had figured out that every week that went by with American KIA's in the scores was a victory for them no matter what the cost.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2023, 05:08 PM
    the US lost the war on the home front instead of on the battlefield . The US 5th column ..... ooops I mean 4th estate was a major contributor to that perception.

Bui Tin, a colonel who served on the general staff of the NV army, said in an interview

Q: How did Hanoi intend to defeat the Americans?A: By fighting a long war which would break their will to help South Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh said, "We don't need to win military victories, we only need to hit them until they give up and get out."
    Q: Was the American antiwar movement important to Hanoi's victory?
    A: It was essential to our strategy. Support for the war from our rear was completely secure while the American rear was vulnerable. Every day our leadership would listen to world news over the radio at 9 a.m. to follow the growth of the American antiwar movement. Visits to Hanoi by people like Jane Fonda and former Attorney General Ramsey Clark and ministers gave us confidence that we should hold on in the face of battlefield reverses. We were elated when Jane Fonda, wearing a red Vietnamese dress, said at a press conference that she was ashamed of American actions in the war and that she would struggle along with us.

Q: Did the Politburo pay attention to these visits?
    A: Keenly
    Q: Why?
    A: Those people represented the conscience of America. The conscience of America was part of its war-making capability, and we were turning that power in our favor. America lost because of its democracy; through dissent and protest it lost the ability to mobilize a will to win.

Q: What else?
    A: We had the impression that American commanders had their hands tied by political factors. Your generals could never deploy a maximum force for greatest military effect.

Congressional Record, Volume 141 Issue 129 (Friday, August 4, 1995) (govinfo.gov)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quid's $15 billion blunder . [ 44 Answers ]

Quid's cancelling of the Keystone XL phase 4 extension costs 11 thousand jobs . Quid said at the time that cancelling the pipeline is in the US interest because our allowing the pipeline to be built (basically improving a pipeline that is already in existence ) would “undermine U.S. climate...

Bush's Horrific Blunder in Invading Iraq [ 7 Answers ]

American troops are stuck in a quagmire in Iraq, and one has to wonder, what could have happened if Bush had finished a quality job in Afghanistan using our forces. For, you see, Pakistan, Afghanistan's neighbor, is under attack by militant Islamists; the government of Musharaff has its back...

Insurance blunder [ 1 Answers ]

My insurace co. reimbursed me incorrectly on several claims before they Told me an error was made on their end. Now they want me to reimburse them $600.00. I don't have it and would never have continued with my therapy if I knew It wasn't covered as they were...

Tax blunder... Please help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi First of all thank you for providing this great service! My situation is as follows: 1) I was on F1 visa (OPT) during 2005 2) My spouse was with me in the US on a F2 visa 3) During the OPT period, I worked part-time for one company and on a contract basis for another firm....

View more questions Search