Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lwallace381 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Why do I faint during tattoos
    I have several tattoos, and each time I have gotten one I become violently ill to my stomach and faint. I would like to get more but after the last time I am not so sure it's a good idea. I do eat before hand, I also drink orange juice before hand and water during. Any solutions so I can continue to get the tattoos without risking facial injuries from the falls?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 06:28 PM

Umm, I don't understand wanting to do something that causes you to become ill/faint. What's the attraction to potentially causing yourself harm?

I have no issue with tattoos, I just don't understand doing it under these circumstances.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 06:32 PM

Do not act like an idiot. If something causes you to get injured by fainting or passing out, the real SMART idea is not to do it anymore.

Maybe there is something else going on. Has this happened each time? Are the needles clean? Is there a chance you have an infection and not know it? Why would you go through so much to have tattoos?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 06:45 PM
    I am reminded of an old, old joke:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Stop doing it."

$50.00, please.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 05:17 AM

A lot of people pass out when they get injections at the doctors, or when they see blood, it's just the way your body reacts to the situation, you basically freak out and either your blood or oxygen goes kooky (can't remember which it is)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 12:11 AM

Are you standing up when you get a tattoo? If you faint in a chair or on a table, wouldn't you not fall?

It could be the pain tolerance levels. Does this happen with blood draws and vaccinations and such? Perhaps, its just the idea of the needle.

I understand, pain is beauty.
    raychi Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2009, 12:23 AM

Is it possible that your nerves are getting the better of you. Maybe, although you don't see it at the time, but you could be nervous and your nerve system is working hard to keep you calm. And they just overload in an attempt to stay calm. And this overload causes you to faint.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 25, 2009, 04:51 PM

Try having someone go with you. That way if you do faint there's someone to catch you.

The fainting itself could be from nerves, a trained response because you fainted the first time and expect to do so ever afterward, or the adrenaline from the process suddenly wearing off after it's over.
    linedriver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 09:26 AM
    I have the same problems. Did a lot of research and talked to a few folks. When getting a tattoo EVERYONE's brain sends endorphine's to fight off the pain. When this happens SOME peoples (not everyone but more than you think) blood sugar plummets causing a person to feel faint or to instantly fall asleep. When it happens to me I actually have the best dreams and snore my off. Doesn't last maybe 30 seconds or a min or so. Now that I know this I will eat a good meal 3-4 hours before going, eat chocolate and drink a sugary drink before walking in, have water and candy close by and take spouse or real good friend to catch yo if it still happens.
    danyoung06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 07:09 AM
    I had my 2nd tattoo the other day and this happened to me (didnt happen on the 1st one) but I passed out during this one. Don't think it helped that I went out the night before and had a few drinks and got minimal sleep. But I think the main reason was because I hyped myself up about it and had convinced myself it was going to hurt and about 10mins into it I passed out, but 30 seconds later I was back to normal and continued the next 2 hours till it was finished. It was pretty strange, a bottle of coke and some Star Bursts later I was fine with it and perfectly relaxed, I even started texting while getting it done.
    So I say, don't do what I done and go out the night before, get some good sleep, eat a hearty meal and take some sugary snacks with you if your worried its going to happen. But the best thing can do is not hype yourself up, obviously your going to be a bit nervous. But if you go to get a tattoo with the mind set of "lets get this over and done with cause i wona get home and see the finished piece" you shouldn't have any problems! Just don't pre-convince yourself that it is going to hurt, because it really doesn't! Its just an annoying vibration that stops as soon as the gun stops.
    hkgeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Vasovagal Syncope or Neuro Cardio Syncope, a simple, very common disorder of the vasovagal gland sending wrong message to brain, telling it to store blood in the legs and less in the brain, causing fainting or dizziness. It causes blood pressure to drop and often can be misconceived as low blood sugar. I have had this disorder since birth and will never overcome it because it's just part of my life. Getting a tattoo, even if you are well fed, calm, and prepared with snacks, is going to cause dizziness because of the evacuation of blood, activating the vasovagal gland. As long as you have a safe place to lay down, preferably with legs raised, you will recover within 15 minutes. Just try to lay down with legs out stretched while getting the tattoo. For me, my tattoo is on my back, so I laid on my stomach and had no way to prop up my legs. I became dizzy, but knew to breath deeply to get heart pumping and wiggle toes to keep blood from pooling in the legs. Again, I've had YEARS of experience with this disorder, do NOT let it keep you from doing whatever you love, including getting tattoos, piercings, or simple things like your eyebrows waxed. You will recover, ignore the "don't do something that's dangerous" people, everything is dangerous if you take it too far, but sometimes you cannot prevent fainting, so just take it in stride (or with your legs up ;)
    lagavulin25yr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 07:22 AM
    I seem to have the same issue, hkgeo. When I've donated blood, I've passed out. The last time, they tilted the chair back before it began, and I had no issues.

I've gotten two parts of my first tattoo done, and passed out the first time. After that, he went on another 3 hours with no issues. Yesterday was the second part, and about 10 minutes into it, I started to pass out. We waited 1/2 hour for me to recover, and again, he went on another 3 hours with no further issues.

Two more parts to go, but I'm planning on having him do it with me lying down.

I should also say that I had sugared up before the second one, and it really made no difference. This lends a lot of credence to your comments. I'm still going to plan to finish this one (two more sessions left), and have plans for some other tats I want to get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tattoos (sin?) [ 150 Answers ]

The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question. Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it? I have thought...

First Tattoos [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering, is it wise to get 2 tattoos at once? I'm not talking about huge ones or anything, just one along the small of my back and one on my wrist. I'm only asking because they will be my first tattoos and I want to know if because of that I should just get them done one at a...

Really faint +ve hpt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 2 days late for my period. I haven't been have reall period like sympotoms as I usually do. Nipples on and off sharp pain, stabbing pains around belly, lower back pain. I took a hpt a week 5 days before I'm due and it was negative, then 1 day before I was due and it was negative and...

Its so faint [ 6 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I should take another test I took one today but it was really faint you can hardly see it but it is there so should I take another one and if so when should I take it ?

Dog tattoos [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently taken in a lost Doxie. He has numbers tattooed on his tummy. Do you know what for?

View more questions Search