Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sechevarria1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Hello my name is Sabrina!
    Hello I'm trying to find out how I would know if the father of my children has claimed them on taxes. Also if no I'm trying to claim them..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 4, 2012, 02:14 PM
    Hello Sabrina. The only way to find out if the father has claimed them is to ask him - the IRS will not disclose private tax information such as this to members of the public. In general the custodial parent is the one who is entitled to claim the children as dependents (unless there is a court order that states otherwise). So if you are entitled to claim them as your dependents then by all means do so. If the father tries to claim them as well you may find that you can't e-file, as the IRS computer will recognize the conflict and refuse to accept the second of the two returns. If this happens then what you do is file a paper copy, claiming the children as appropriate. The IRS will investigate and resolve the issue, and interest charges and/or a penalty may be assessed against the parent who should not be claiming the children. So at the end of the day it does not matter whether the father (or anyone else) has tried to claim your children - if you are the custodial parent and entitled you will be able to claim them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I Find sabrina the teenage witch spells [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I Find sabrina the teenage witch spells

View more questions Search