Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keninmansfield Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
    My 3 year old will not speak!
    She is not autistic, she comprehends complex sentences, and she does use some words... but only those few! My theory is that she figures that since those few words, plus some gestures etc, get her what she wants, she doesn't feel the urge to say anything more. But, I'm not sure if that's the case.

Also, she is perfectly able to articulate. She can say her ABC's up to H and sings along to several songs. By all indications there is nothing physically or mentally wrong with her.

I'm at a loss! Any and all advice, suggestions, experience, whatever, will be much appreciated.

PS - Presently, I am denying her a good number of things she normally gets without using new words. I am doing this to test my theory.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 16, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keninmansfield
    She is not autistic, she comprehends complex sentences, and she does use some words...but only those few! My theory is that she figures that since those few words, plus some gestures etc, get her what she wants, she doesn't feel the urge to say anything more. But, I'm not sure if that's the case.

Also, she is perfectly able to articulate. She can say her ABC's up to H and sings along to several songs. By all indications there is nothing physically or mentally wrong with her.

I'm at a loss! Any and all advice, suggestions, experience, whatever, will be much appreciated.

PS - Presently, I am denying her a good number of things she normally gets without using new words. I am doing this to test my theory.
    Is she your first?
    keninmansfield Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Yes, I'm afraid so :o
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Yes, I'm afraid so :o
    Don't worry, not to sound sexist but she is a girl she will talk... take in the quiet while you can! I have two girls two years apart (5 and 3) and the first talked early and often but the second started much later but is picking up the pace... that is why I asked about it being your first... if she isn't talking by pre-school time there should be programs through your school district that can help address the issue. If you are still concerned talk to your peditrician, they can also reassure you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 02:28 PM
    This is normal if she knows how to get what she wants by using gestures or sounds. If she wants something she HAS to say it.

If she goes to the fridge and points and grunts for juice, she must say "juice" to get juice.

She knows how to manipulate you and she has done it very well.

Don't feel bad, my youngest was the same way, I used to call him Monkey Boy cause he sounded like a monkey when he wanted something.

You just have to tell her to use her words.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Forget manipulation. She sounds as though she has a speech delay. Some simple testing can determin if this so is her problem. Speech therapy worked wonders and my son finished at the end of this school year. He is only 4 and will be in preschool this year. He has totally caught up and now he won't stop talking
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 03:11 PM
    While speech therapy may be necessary, by all means do NOT dismiss manipulation. What you described above, she can sing songs, say her ABCs up to H, and you say she can articulate. This says to me that she knows she doesn't have to talk to get what she wants.

The key words here are "articulate" (which she can), "comprehends complex sentences" (which she does), and "gestures."

I would suggest that you get a comprehensive check up with her pediatrician. To be sure.

Working with children of this age for over 22 years now, I really do believe it is more a matter of manipulation at this point in time. Speech therapy is there if this does not work for you.

One thing, if you every used "baby talk" with her when she was an infant, this is a good indication that she may need speech therapy.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Let me just say from the time my child was born I spoke in complete sentances, I never used baby talk. I agree manipulation or just plain laziness may be a great factor in this case but not in all. The best thing I would do is get a referral from her pediatrician to get her tested. She should be using more words by this age. No one has said she could not comprehend this obviously is not her issue. She may knowe the words but have the innability to form the words she needs to communicate.
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Yes, and many children do this out of pure laziness. I have raised 4 children and taught approximately 100 children ages 2 - 4. So, I do know a little on this issue, not saying that you don't, but my experience is very vast with early childhood development.

Now, you may have spoken in complete sentences, not all parents do, and I commend you for this.

My fourth child had the same problem as this child does. Why? Because we LET him. He manipulated us.

I am not saying that speech therapy is uncalled for in this instance, but you are saying that manipulation is not the reason.

Please do not limit it to strictly speech therapy.
    gurl44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 03:59 PM
    She is not autistic, she comprehends complex sentences, and she does use some words...but only those few! My theory is that she figures that since those few words, plus some gestures etc, get her what she wants, she doesn't feel the urge to say anything more. But, I'm not sure if that's the case.

Well.. ok I'm 11 so I don't no.. But maybe some type of dreams.. or thoughts
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gurl44
    well..ok im 11 so i dnt no.. but maybe some type of dreams..or thoughts
    WHAT??
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 04:48 PM
    j_9 I too have taught 3-4 year olds for a long time at a head start and then took a leave to have my own child. Needless too say like you I have seen it all. With the exception to you I have experienced having a child with limited vocabulary and have done a lot of work with countless children who had speech difficulty along with many problems with the fact that english was not there 1st language.

So I do speak from experience.
    Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 05:12 PM
    I never insinuated that you do not have experience. However, we cannot say that this child ONLY needs speech therapy or it is ONLY manipulation/laziness. It really could be either, or a combination.

She does need to be evaluated by her pediatrician to be diagnosed either way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A 20 year old son who won't speak to me [ 11 Answers ]

I was a young single mother, I have 3 boys 20, 17 and 10. They are my life. I sacrifced so much for them and love them very much. Recently I have had a lot of problems, I am losing my house to foreclosure and money is tight. My 20 year old is in college and works, but I pay his car insurance...

3 year old son who doesn't speak [ 27 Answers ]

I have a son that will be turning three on 4/23. He doesn't speak that much. He says words like "stop", "ouch", "bye-bye", and "thank you". He can count to ten and he tries to say his ABC's. However these words are not that clear. If you don't really know him, you wouldn't understand what he...

3 Year Old Son Does Not Speak! [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old son, and he still does not speak. He says "no", "dop" (for stop). And "ow". Nothing else. He has never said mama or daddy or anything else. He understands everything we say to him. He follows instructions (i.e. "put it on the table" or "throw it in the trash"), but he...

Anyone here speak Japanese besides me? [ 20 Answers ]

Konnichiwa! Genki desu ka

3 YR old do not speak [ 3 Answers ]

HELLO, This is my first post here I have a problem my 3 yr old does not speak,we want to train him but he don't give much importance to our words,though his hearing powers are excellent,he sometimes utter2-3 words of his own choice, We are in foreign country and have very few friends here,so...

View more questions Search