Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynda03 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Mar 4, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Accounting for dummies?
    Hello,
    I have started a small catering company. (partnership) in Mich. I can run circles around the office and the kitchen. My biggest concern and fear is the accounting end of it. I have downloaded quickbooks and have managed to muddle my way thro the very basic steps. I have been keeping records of my expenses and business income. I know I really need to hire an accountant but I have dumped most of everything I have into startup. I have a few questions maybe someone can help me with till then...

How do I pay us? Just take it out of the profits? I have it setup so when I receive payment from services... 25% is going to food cost/ 25% overhead/ 15% Capital/ 35% profit. Keeping in mind that if any one of those categories comes up short, it comes out of the profit.

What are the major things that I can write off at the end of the year and how or where should I keep those records.

I am completely overwhelmed with all this. Wondering if I took on more then I should have. I have spent more hours then I can count in front of this PC trying to inform, teach and learn. I know I will need thicker glasses... Can I write that of tooo?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I will checking back soon... with more questions I am sure

Thanks in advance,
    Lynda

I double posted this in the small business category as well
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Mar 4, 2009, 07:12 PM

Oh Partnership accounting is fun don't let it get you down :)

Well first off you should have a partnership agreement in writing that spells out exactly how profits and losses are distributed, also what happens if you dissolve the partnership, if a new partner is admitted, or if a partner resigns. I could go on and on about all the things that should be in the agreement but lets save that for another post and you should also see a lawyer about this stuff too.

You can pay yourselves in a few different ways, you can both take a salary (if you both agree on how much), you can periodically draw from your capital account, or you can wait for the profits to be certain and withdraw some or all of the profits that are your share. Again much elaboration could be done here but there is not enough time in one post (I.E. I am leaving out the details).

I am concerned about this setup you mention. When you receive payment for service this should be going to a revenue account period. Not sure how you set up this allocation but it does not make sense to me. When you pay for expenses they should be allocated to the different expenses that you have. Pay for supplies, supplies expense for example.

You can write off any and everything that is a legitimate business expense. You should keep the best records possible of everything that you can.

I am sure you will have more questions so I will leave it here for now. Hope this helps.

P.S. You should check out the bookstore and see if they have "accounting for dummies" :)
    Lynda03 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2009, 07:43 AM
    Thank you for your response JC.

"I am concerned about this setup you mention. When you receive payment for service this should be going to a revenue account period. Not sure how you set up this allocation but it does not make sense to me. When you pay for expenses they should be allocated to the different expenses that you have. Pay for supplies, supplies expense for example."

I am entering it as revenue. Then breaking the gross down allocating a % to be used for food cost/ overhead/ capitol/ profit. To be used for those categories for future events. This is just the way my former boss had his set up and I kind of knew how he did it so it was easier for me to follow. Not that it is the right way, or even easier for that matter. I guess it was just a place for me to start.

Right now we have 1 business account where all of our finical transactions are being done from. I am thinking however it would be much more simple if I had more. I am so nervous that I am going about this the wrong way and I am going to pay a high price later. I am keeping all of our records in quickbooks. (which took me about 3 days to figure out) My boss never used quick books except to do invoicing and write checks.

Any more advice once again would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Lynda
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Mar 6, 2009, 09:42 AM

"I am entering it as revenue. Then breaking the gross down allocating a % to be used for food cost/ overhead/ capitol/ profit. To be used for those categories for future events. This is just the way my former boss had his set up and I kind of knew how he did it so it was easier for me to follow. Not that it is the right way, or even easier for that matter. I guess it was just a place for me to start."

This sounds like a good method for budgeting but not really how you want to do financial accounting. The purpose of accounting is recording history, when you are paid by customer credit revenue. When you pay for supplies, materials, services etc. you debt an expense account. Than at the end of any period you calculate net income (profit) the difference between the revenues and expenses. When this is all done the net income can go to the capital accounts.

“Right now we have 1 business account where all of our finical transactions are being done from. “

Are you saying you have one bank account or that you have one account in QuickBooks? How is your chart of accounts set up in QuickBooks? If you have one business bank account that is probably fine for a small business like this. If you only have one accounting – account (for lack of a better term) this is not good at all.

Do some Googleing or go and buy a book on accounting basics, I will help where I can but I can't teach you everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HDMI Set-up for Dummies? [ 1 Answers ]

My new equipment (coming) is: Sony KDR 46w150 TV (has HDMI jacks and 120 hz feature) - Harman Kardon AVR 256 receiver (has HDMI jacks and a card that takes the place of a cable box) - Panasonic Blu Ray player (don't recall model number but it's the 2500 model, not the more expensive one) and...

Crocheting for Dummies [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know of a site that puts crochet instructions in layman's terms. I know how to crochet, I just don't know how to read the directions..

Taxes for dummies [ 1 Answers ]

I forgot a w2 on my taxes. I have a 1040x form. How do you fill it out?

L1 tax for dummies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Information: I worked in US for 7 months (jul 8 2006 to feb 8 2006) in L1 B Visa. While in L1b visa, I was paid allowances for approx $20000.I paid taxes in home country India. I didn't know then that I had to file taxes in USA. After I returned to India, I got the information about Tax...

Megapixel for Dummies! [ 2 Answers ]

O.K. now nobody here is a dummy, but I do have a question... I recently purchased a larger memory stick for my Sony Digital Camera and was wondering if the overall picture quality would greatly improve if I change my settings from VGA to 4MP? I upgraded from the stock 16MB to a 512MB memory...

View more questions Search