Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Apr 12, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Worried about if I am pregnant?
    We are not trying to get pregnant but we did briefly have unprotected sex twice last month after my period. I had my period on march 14th-it lasted about three days or so. On march 24th we briefly had sex and he pulled out after only a few minutes-the same thing happened again on march 28th. Since then I noticed some strecht marks on my lower abs and I threw up one night. I am thinking maybe these strecht marks were already there and I just never noticed before? But my pants have not been fitting and I have not gained any weight except maybe 3 lbs? I have been going to the batheroom a lot but I do drink a lot of coffee. It seems too soon to take a pregnancy test and I do not have any other symptoms would it be OK to wait a week or two before getting a test? I know being bloated could be a sign but it could be pms too- I just do not remember ever being this big before. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!:confused:
    care90 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 06:19 PM
    The only thing that you can really do is wait to take a pregnancy test. I worry a lot about being pregnant too. But then later I realize that thinking so much about it causes us to stress about the little things. You shouldn't be experiencing stretch marks so early. It takes a while before a baby gives you stretch marks. However, throwing up isn't normal. Your period should be coming soon, so my advice is to take a test if you are worried.

Apr 14, 2007, 08:30 AM
    care90- I think I am getting my period this morning- I am spotting so far only when I wipe but I have killer cramps and my period is due today. So I guess all this worrying is for nothing. Thanks for your response.

Apr 14, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Care-is it possible to be a couple months along and still get periods? How would I know if I was? There was also some sex in dec and jan I was worried about but I took like 5 pregnancy tests after that and they were all negative. We just have to be much more careful during sex- I would really like a baby but being bipolar makes this really tough because I need my meds and they cause birth defects or can cause them. So we really are not ready to get pregnant now.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Emily, it is possible to have periods in early pregnancy, but it is quite unusual. The only way to know for sure is to go to the doctor and have a blood test. For some women HPTs don't always work. I know for me I was in my second trimester before I ever got a positive on a HPT with all 4 of my pregnancies.

Yes, being bi-polar can be a challenge, but there are meds out there that can keep you stable during your pregnancy.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the response you want.

Apr 14, 2007, 10:53 AM
    J_9 - If I am worried should I take another HPT? Or should I just wait? I do not really feel pregnant or anything. But I have gotten bigger in my lower abodomen and I have stretch marks now which I neever noticed before-could this just be weight gain that I did not notice? I do seem to be about the same weight however. Would a HPT be accurate if I am spotting or would that throw it off somehow? I am almost positive that this is just a normal period however for dec my period was over two weeks late the next one came a month later and last month's was 10 days late this one is about a month since that. My gyn had said in jan that because I weigh close to 200lbs my periods could be irregular now. I do need to go back and get an annual done- I had a pap in jan but I have not had a breat exam in over a year. Thank you for all your advice-your great!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 14, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Hi again Emily. Let's start with the simple and move on from there. You had a pap in January, most docs do a breast exam in that appointment. However, you should be doing your own monthy self-exams. Unless there is a problem and you have found a lump, or are over a certain age, usually around 40 - 45, or you fall into a high risk category, it is not really necessary to make an appointment only for a breast exam. That is something you should be doing yourself monthly anyway.

Now, as for your periods. It sounds as though your periods are just out of sync. Nature tends to do that to us women once in a while. I really tend to doubt that you are pregnant. You can take a HPT if you feel that it will ease your mind, but from what I have read, I really don't think you are.

Now, for the stretch marks. Stretch marks happen to us when our skin is stretched beyond it's elastic capabilities. In pregnancy if a woman is going to get stretch marks it usually does not happen until at least the third trimester. Understand also, that not all women do get stretch marks.

As for your weight, your doctor is completely correct in that weight can and does affect periods.
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 14, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Any update?

Apr 15, 2007, 04:12 AM
    I am definitely on my period I think... but if I feel anything questionable I will probably take a hpt. I am sure that I am fine and not pregnant at this point in time. I feel somewhat relieved by that- thanks brazygirl.

Apr 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
    On second thought- I just bought a Hpt and took it-it was negative- whew! So I guess I have just gained weight or am bloated from my period or something. In the future I will make sure we are using condoms.
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Good news!! Great to know! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worried... [ 14 Answers ]

I have been really stressed out lately and I am findind myself unable to go to bed until the early hours of the morning (even thiugh I am tired) and I am not able to eat properly either. At times I feel sick (but never am sick). Yesterday I went to work (on an empty stomach) as I just wasn't...

Family worried I might be pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Back in January I had a normal period which was a few days late. Then I had unprotected sex January 26th. My period for February was 8 days late and started as spotting one day, full on bleeding the next day then spotting for another day and a half... then nothing. For the last month or so my...

22 and worried... Could I be pregnant? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm sorry, I know this question has been asked before but I am in a panic. I am a virgin and have been dating my boyfriend for about 3 months. We have done a lot of foreplay stuff, including some very slight contact (penile/vaginal) while naked, but never insertion. We are always very careful to...

Should I be worried? [ 18 Answers ]

Hey everyone I have been in a relationship for over four months with a fantastic guy. We have recently gone into business together. He is kind and considerate... we are both professionals. We currently hang out together (weekdays and weekends) every day, and I have a son (8) and he has two...

View more questions Search