Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colleen82861 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2010, 05:14 AM
    Ingestion of white chocolate wafers by dashound on Saturday night
    My daughter's dashound ate approximately 1/2 of a pound bag of white chocolate wafers on Saturday. She threw up what we think is pretty close to all of them. She was okay during the day yesterday, but last night during the night she started throwing up stomach acids (yellowish liquid). What should we do? Is this vomitting related to the white chocolate that she ate on Saturday evening?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 05:21 AM

The following information is from dogownersdigest.com, it is self explanatory and you must get the dog to a vet immediately, in fact you have probably waited too long. Chocolate is lethal to dogs.

Why is Chocolate Lethal?

Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.
    Symptoms of Chocolate Dog Ingestion and Poisoning

You can recognize that your dog has eaten a toxic dose of chocolate from the symptoms. Within the first few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity. As time passes and there's increased absorption of the toxic substance, you'll see an increase in the dog's heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting.

This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2010, 06:29 AM

It was most likely the sugar content causing the vomiting as white chocolate doesn't contain cocoa ;)

I would just keep an eye on her, if she vomits any more or starts acting lethargic or confused get her to the vet right away.
    Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 06:53 AM

Guidelines for different types of chocolate

* White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
    * Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
    * Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
    * Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 09:47 AM

Did she eat the wrapping, too? It may not be the white chocolate, but the packaging or a small piece of it causing her problems.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 11:06 AM

Like Shaz said white chocolate should be fine, as there is limited to no cocoa in it.

But a quick call to the vet would clear any anxiety you are feeling over the situation ;)
    Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Did she eat the wrapping, too? It may not be the white chocolate, but the packaging or a small piece of it causing her problems.
    Yes, not even the lesser of two evils. Dogs have died from not getting to an intestinal blockage soon enough.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What type of music is the Opening Theme Song of Saturday Night Live considered? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this question on my mind recently. I'm looking for the type of music (live upbeat Jazz) that is evident in the modern version of Saturday Night Live. Also, I would like to know some other artists (if possible) in the music genre. I'm really starting to love the vibrant energy in this...

Drank late Saturday night, had a drug test sent to lab today, [ 16 Answers ]

I slipped up on Saturday nght and drank. Last drink was 3am Sunday. I just took a drug tet at my counselors office, and to my surprise she sent it to "THE LAB".. I just heard of EtG testing. I'm scared I'm going to get caught and go to jail. Its been 88 hours.. am I okay:eek:

Saturday Night Live Theme Song; Clarinet. Where To Find? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, Easy and simple right? I'm Looking for a 'free version' Of the Saturday Night Live Theme Song. For Clarinet. Well, I can in no way find it. >.< Help, please (: Thanks.

Any better ideas for a Family night for Saturday? [ 6 Answers ]

Sup, I am organising a Family Night on Saturday since I hardly ever spend time with them koz I am always clubbing,partying e.t.c. I Have 13 yr old sister,15 yr old sister,2o year old brother and of course mum and dad. My plan would have been take them all out clubbing lol but unfortunately my...

Chocolate Turns White [ 2 Answers ]

When making chocolate molds -- like Easter Bunnies -- why does the chocolate turn white?

View more questions Search