Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stylistjennifer Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2008, 08:33 PM
    What's a good age to marry?
    What is a good age to get married, have a house, and start a family?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
    I would say it is more of a maturity, some are ready at 20, some are never.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 01:33 PM
    I don't think it so much of an age issue as a 'what have you done' issue. For instance, do you have a job? A checking account? A car? A loan? Paid off a loan? Filed a tax return? Balanced your checkbook without help? Graduated from secondary school or higher? Employment history? Purchased life insurance?
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 18, 2008, 01:44 PM
    When you are both sure that you have the right person, are mature, and ready to move in together. Pre-marital counseling is great, and can help you make sure that the time and person is right.
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Jan 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
    You will know when the time is right. As dumb as that sounds. I am a firm believer in the fact that your heart is never wrong. Nothing is foolproof, nothing is for certain. Someone can always get hurt and things can always change. But if you follow your heart you will never regret what you did, and being able to live without regret is the key to happiness no matter what is going on.
    stylistjennifer Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2008, 09:20 PM
    that's sweet about follow your heart, I also believe that.
    I think I have found the one. We have dated 2 years and never broken up or been in any big fights. We always try and talk things out.
    but we are too young now to marry, but I was just wondering what anyone thought a good age was.
    we do have great jobs already and are mature enough I think.
    anyway thanks. =D
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stylistjennifer
    what is a good age to get married, have a house, and start a family?
    Two years after you started dating a guy and he still is the same guy he pretended to be when you met him. Two years means the courting behavior, often filled with misrepresentations and irrelevant attraction, has given way to real behavior and you have had a chance to really see who the guy is, and he you. If you're both still after each other, go for it. Any age.

If this is true for you now, the rest is stuff you can accomplish together as a committed team. You're going to continue to mature longer than he will, so if the guy he is today is great, then waiting could be pointless.

Oh yeah, and stay out of debt. Seriously. Car payments and credit cards are the leading basis of marital fights and money is central in most breakups (not solely, but a lot). Keep debt out of your house and you two will always have a solid foundation. Anything you could buy on credit you can buy in cash cheaper, and I mean anything. (celebrating our 25th anniversary next year with a cash trip to Paris, shopping the deals is so much fun)
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Feb 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
    As soon as possible. There is no age for marriage if you are mature.. but there is the time when you meet the right person.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Feb 25, 2008, 12:48 PM
    I have to disagree with everyone on this one. I think it should be early 30's and late 20's. Being married is a job in itself. You need two adult with a little understanding of life and that is something you don't have at in the early 20's. This why our divorce rates are such as they are. What type of career do you have at age 20? What type of income is this new young family going to have. 1# reason for divorce is financial. To young people get together and realize they can afford the these they wanted and blame each other. When you finish HS what age 17-18?

Then you have a young man with this super sex drive trying to keep his urges at bay. Which brings me to adultery... when this young man is faced with the oppunity to cheat. What exactly does he have to fall back on..

Feb 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
    I disagree with those who say marriage comes after late 20's... What does the person has to do while waiting to get 30? Sleep with whoever he likes ? Weird logic. Why not start right at the beginning.. What other choices does the person has beside marriage ?

Marriage has to do with maturity not with 20's or 30's.
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    I don't think it so much of an age issue as a 'what have you done' issue. For instance, do you have a job? a checking account? a car? a loan? paid off a loan? filed a tax return? balanced your checkbook without help? graduated from secondary school or higher? employment history? purchased life insurance?
    George_1950 your killing me... I love you to death and normally we are on the same page but I have to disagree here. That is practical advice but you have to answer this from a parents point of view. Are you with me?

stylistjennifer, the right age to marry, move out of the house and leave your poor mother is 40. Okay actually move out, but move next door. Do not marry or start anything without checking with her first. In fact do not even date its too hard on her. Just enjoy being a single young woman.

She has already had it tough when you started to walk. When you were five and she had to leave you at school, do you have any idea what that must have been like for her? Traumatic I tell you, traumatic.

Now you move ahead past your 1st crush, the 1st time you had your period, your 1st date, your permit, your drivers license, 1st party, My goodness your graduation from flippin high school! This poor woman is still hanging on here. You add that to your 1st job, need for independence, your 1st client and now you want to add marriage, kids and a home?!

Child, stop before this poor woman has a freaking heartache. Forget marriage, kids, house for many years. Your mother needs the break. The only person that will continue to benefit from any of this is Kleenex and all of it's shareholders.

Sincerely,
    A mother

Feb 25, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Mr_am but think about how many mature 20 year olds do you know. Yes... has to do with maturity however the majority of the people in the that age group are not mature. I'm not saying don't date until age 30 I'm saying don't marry at that age. I gave two real important reasons. I think numbers are 50% of marriages end in divorce. So instead of throwing rice we should just flip coins.

Here is an example two people meet in High School. They fall in love. They at the time live at home with the parents.

Do they plan on going to college?
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Exactly, Marriedguy but I still say no way, 40!

The only thing marriage is for; having kids. Besides sex is better without the bonds.

Okay kidding marriage is more, I guess, but just slow down. Learn to enjoy each other before you try to grow up so quickly. Slow down and keep doing what you are doing, living life almost responsibility free. Life is not about who gets to the finish line first. There is no rush here.

An old friend of mine dated his wife all through college. His wife pressured him to get married. Her argument was we have been dating 4 years and he simply said, that was college, it's not the same. He never cheated, not once. He had as many opportunities as anybody all through college but he loved her. It wasn't about being a guy. They dated another 2/3 I think. They married and enjoyed each other for many more years before having children. If you asked him he would tell you marriage is hard. It's fulfilling but tough and look how long he waited.

There is no time limit, no certain age but Marriedguy is right, maturity comes with age and only because of life experiences. A wedding is a wonderful experience, as is the courtship period you are in now. But it's when your married, have actual disagreements, children thrown into the mix and little to no sex, that's when this advice will make more sense.

Take your time and just enjoy the ride. You are at a wonderful time in your life, eliminate the pressures of time limits and your desire to play house, it's not as easy or as bliss all the time. It's a wonderful gift and when your time comes, you will share have it but be better prepared as it will allow you such a better future with whomever the lucky man is.
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Feb 25, 2008, 04:59 PM
    I agree with Mr_am AND Marriedguy... I think that maturity is the deciding factor. It really depends on the people involved. There are some 18 year olds that are more mature then some people in their 30's! I think it just so happens that most people end up maturing in their late 20's and early 30's.

Feb 25, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Rockerchick26 here is the thing what are the odds of two mature 20 years hooking up. I'll no sooner believe in unicorns. How many 20 year old guys are out there looking for a wife? They are to busy playing Xbox or PS3's. Ask 20 year old guy what he like better spending time with his girlfriend or playing video games. He will ask what game?
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Feb 25, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Well I'm not disagreeing with you... But there are some older men out there that are like that as well. I've dated guys who were MUCH older then me (I'm 26) and they will probably be bachelors forever. I do agree that getting married in college or right out of college is a bad idea. Being emmersed in the real world changes you SO much... That being said, if you don't go to college and you go right into the "real world" you mature a lot faster. I think it's a case by case basis as far as this topic goes.
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Rockerchick I don't think anybody disagrees with your thoughts, as we know people both male and female, that are mature. However, it's not as common. Now look at the divorce rates, or simply look at the relationship section here. Look what the number thing people need others for? Heart break, break-up's maturity rarely if ever comes up in that regard.

I think it's more experience that is most important. Not experience with the opposite sex but life experiences. Mix that would maturity, age and levels of current responsibility and you have somebody who might be ready to take that next step. I just think, as I know you do, there is no rush.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 05:59 PM
    We are moving this to the philosophy topic shortly.

Feb 25, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Whether a marriage would be successful or not has nothing to do with age... Mature and responsible people seek long term relationship (marriage). Marriage is like anything else in life.. no guarantee.. The fact that there are many divorces should not create marriage phobia. Being successful or not has to do with why and for what reason X and Y chose to marry (was it because Y was so beautiful/rich.. etc. And so on. It would be terrible for a marriage based upon a silly or cheap basis.

Back again to the question.. if 99.999% of young people at the age of 20 were not mature enough does not give one the right to fix marriage age. Besides those who are not mature at say 20 may not even think of it. So why bother with them ?

Anyway we all agree that marriage is serious decision to make.. so like any step one has to take.. must think well.
    Dale B Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 26, 2008, 04:05 AM
    Hi
    By the odds you can marry after 25 but marry a guy older than 30
    People go through changes and that can kill a relationship when it should really have a chance to last.
    Fortunately when you fall in love, none of it matters.
    Good luck whatever you choose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's a good reason to get an ear piercing? [ 12 Answers ]

My mom says the only way I can get a piercing is that I can give her a good answer. Im 14 and can't get a piercing. What's a good answer?

What's A Good Gift To Give My Boyfriend? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Me and my boyfriend have been going out for 4 months, and he is moving to another state. I won't see him for a year(so yes he is coming back). I really love him a lot! But I don't know what to get him 4 his goodbye present which makes me feel like I'm a bad girlfriend if I don't...

6 years and counting, to marry or not to marry [ 7 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years, is it time to get married?

What's a good product for fading spots? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys... Does anyone know of a good product for spot treatment only?:)

What's a good duck to have [ 8 Answers ]

Just want some ppls opinion on which species of duck is better as a pet and why...

View more questions Search