Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrussell2nd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 05:58 AM
    How to set a whirlpool tub on second floor?
    We are remodelling our bathroom and need to mortar bed a whirlpool tub.
    The bath is on the second floor and there is a hole in the floor where the drain goes beneath subfloor. How do we set the mortar and keep it from going down the hole?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2011, 07:24 AM

Are the second floor trusses or joists up to the task to carry the full weight load that tub will result in? I know its late in the game to present that but better late than never.

You can create a dam of sorts. Like with a big sponge with a hole cut in the center you glue down is just one possibility.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 05:24 PM
    Did you sister the floor joists or consult someone before installation? There is a lot of floor load with tub, water and people. As far as the hole goes. Get a small piece of PVC, bigger than the hole, cut it to the motrar depth and set it around the hole. Put a finish nail to keep it from moving. Pour your mortar, let is sit a couple of hours, pull the nails and the ring and you should be good to go.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 07:58 PM

I assume you are setting a jetted bathtub not a true whirlpool or Jacuzzi tub and want to build a dam around the drain opening to prevent the mortar or thin set from running down to the ceiling below.

I'd get two or three toilet wax rings, open then up into one long piece and press them to the subfloor around the opening.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 08:06 PM

OK sounds like you are setting the tub in a bed of mortar, right? Make your mortar stiff and it will not run, you can also use other materials like Structolite to set a tub. You had a tub before, I assume, so its likely your bath can handle the weight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My tub stopper is located outside of my tub on the floor; want to replace it - how? [ 13 Answers ]

My stopper is tube shaped and has a lever at the top that you lift and lay to the side to release the water or lift and let fall in place to stop the tub up. This tube like device is located on the side of my tub and is set in the tile on my bathroom floor. It's the type of stoppers they used...

First floor ceiling leak beneath the master tub on second floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My twin infants accidentally poured water on the tiled floor of our master bathroom while taking shower. It was not rainy outside but when I went downstairs, I saw water leaking from the ceiling of the first floor. How can I get it fixed?

Do I have to install the tub spout with a tub/shower set? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to install the tub spout portion of a tub/shower trim package?

Whirlpool tub to basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, 2 questions: 1.) I need to connect a basement roughed-in 2 inch drain to a whirlpool tub. I believe that I can use 1 1/2 inch cheap sink drain to attach to the 2 inch drain. It appears to be really easy to configure. I will use the same for my shower drain? 2.) Can I fill in...

View more questions Search