Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klassman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Waterproofing a laundry tub
    I have what I believe to be a "soapstone" laundry tub. (It looks like it is made of 1" thick rock-type material . . . definitely not plastic or anything like that.) It was undoubtedly installed when the house was built - so is approximately 40 years old. I noticed that when I wash something in the left hand tub I would get drips of water on the cement floor. I've solved this for the past few years by keeping a bucket under where the leak seemed to be. Now I find that I'm getting bigger drips from the right hand tub - which is also where my washing machine water goes . . . so now it is time to fix it! I'm wondering if there is a waterproofing product that I could paint on the interior of the two tubs. Or if there is an alternative "fix" that someone could suggest - besides the obvious of having it replaced. Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 06:18 PM
    I kind of doubted your question at first thinking that soapstone is soapstone (mostly talc and used for many purposes including jewellery) and it shouldn't need sealing, but after looking further I found a site that may help, probably expensive but at the same time may give you some ideas which you can work out yourself:

Masonry and Waterproofing Products

Jul 4, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Thanks - I've checked out the site and will head up to my HOme Depot and see if I can find this stuff. Appreciate the quick response
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Are you sure it is the tub itself and not the joint between the drain and the tub? Coating the tub with something may or may not seal the joint. If it is the porosity of the tub, I wouldn't think the right tub would have suddenly gotten worse. Sometimes it is better to wait and see what others say than act on the first answer. The only limit on poor answers here is others peoples' opinion. Wait a little longer and you may get an answer from an experienced plumber.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 08:19 AM
    You really get all the unwarranted annoying digs in you can, labman, don't you ?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klassman
    I have what I believe to be a "soapstone" laundry tub.
    Never heard of a soapstone laundry tub before.

Could you upload a photo of the sink and the drain connection -- Just to be sure we aren't talking about a concrete laundry tub?:)
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    You really get all the unwarranted annoying digs in you can, labman, dont you ?
    >chuckles<

I really don't think he can help himself, Tickle.

Much in the same way Tourette's sufferer's can't help themselves. :D

Jul 5, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Thanks all.. . Sounds like I got caught up in an ongoing debate!

It might be a concrete laundry tub.. . I guessed it was "soapstone" as when I was looking on the internet (before I found this GREAT website!) I read something about that type of laundry tub.. . But you may be right. I know it isn't plastic or anything flimsy, that's for sure. It is old, looks heavy, is very smooth on the interior and the exterior of the tub - except the bottom of it is very rough.

Anyway, I had a flashlight down there some time ago and thought I saw a small crack.. . And when I felt along it seemed like the water was running along the crack. You've inspired me to check with a flashlight again to be sure.

I may submit an update later. Thanks again!
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klassman
    Thanks all.. . Sounds like I got caught up in an ongoing debate!
    >shrugs<

Some folks would rather be *RIGHT* than correct.

Go figger.

It might be a concrete laundry tub.. . Anyway, I had a flashlight down there some time ago and thought I saw a small crack.. . And when I felt along it seemed like the water was running along the crack. You've inspired me to check with a flashlight again to be sure.
    If it is concrete, then I highly recommend you consider replacing it.

Those of us in the trade call them 'incubators' -- Due to to the porous nature of concrete, concrete laundry tubs are a breeding ground for all manner of cooties.

Also, the two compartments are generally joined together in a yoke that is cast into the concrete, and depending on the degree of deterioration, the cracks that cause the leak usually penetrate into the bowl of the sink long before they manifest themselves as a leak on the underside.

Just my two pence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in laundry tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi At my house, I am on a septic system. For the last couple of weeks, every time we wash Clothes, we get a bad smell in the laundry tub when the washer is draining. Do this mean We probably need our septic system pumped out. It's been nine years since it was last done Thanks

Laundry Tub Drain [ 1 Answers ]

There is currently no water access in my basement. I recently purchased a double laundry tub for which I need to establish a drain line. The attached picture shows one of the main house drains descending from the first floor. I can cut in a wye into the vertical portion of the drain just...

Laundry Tub Venting [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Wichita, KS, and have a basement with laundry room facilities in it. With that, venting is critical. The short part of my question is: I want to move my washer to the right about four to five feet, which means relocating the drain and venting pipes. One problem is that the pipes cross...

Alternative to a Laundry Tub [ 9 Answers ]

I am looking for an alternative to discharging a front-loading washing machine into a laundry tub. I have access to a pipe that slopes down to the septic pipe exiting the basement. This pipe is 5ft from the bottom of the washer. The manufacturer told me that the pump in the washer would only...

Eliminating Laundry Tub In Basement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a house with a 'finished' basement. The laundry room right now has a washer draining into one side of the double laundry tub sink by means of a hose. Sometimes the floor drain backs up or the sink drains slowly as the washer drains. I would ideally like to eliminate the...

View more questions Search