Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Just a website? I don't think so!
    Today I received a package in the mail from Australia. I only know one person in Australia, I've never met him, heck, I've never even spoken on the phone with him, but today I received a gift from him. Three wonderful books about animals that I can't wait to open and read, also a beautiful postcard with pictures of Sydney Australia, Sydney is my daughters name. He knows me so well.

How did we meet? We met here, on AMHD. I consider him a friend, and I'm pleased that he must feel the same way, otherwise why would I receive such a wonderful heartfelt gift?

Chances are we'll never meet in person, after all, I live in Canada, he in Australia, that's a long distance to travel. I have invited him to stay with me and my family, I hope he takes me up on the offer one day and makes the trip here, we'd all like very much to meet him. We all feel like we know him so well, my kids call him Uncle M when they talk about him and my husband knows him as M, the nice guy with the wonderful black lab avatar on AMHD.

My point? I've been here on AMHD for 1 year exactly. In that time I've made many friends. Some of the people I've met have become like family to me, I find that shocking, I've never met any of them in person. I talk to some of them on the phone at least a few times a week. They call when they're upset or just want to chat, I do the same. My kids have heard about them, my husband has befriended them as well.

So, for those of you that are new here, have just joined our little family, stick around, AMHD is so much more than just a place to ask questions, get answers. I've met people here who've had such an impact on my life, people that I can't imagine my life without, people who have become my friends, my family. Some of them are old, some of them are young, some of them are healthy, some are very ill. I've met people that have shown me their hearts without every having to say a word, I've met people who I know would jump on a plane to be by my side if I ever needed them, and I would do the same for them.

I thank my lucky stars everyday that I found all of you, that you all have accepted me for who and what I am. This is an amazing place, I hope it never ends.

So, M, aka Friend4U, thank you so much for the lovely gift, you didn't sign it, but I know it was you. Thank you dear friend, words can't express how much it means to me. You my dear are my friend, my family, don't ever forget it! :)

Alty :)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 06:20 PM

::blush::

Geez Alty , how to make a guy emabarrassed :o... LOL ;)

I know how you like your animals and when I saw those books just knew who would enjoy them.

I'm really glad you like them and hope you enjoy reading them :)

And how right you are about this website , I too have met some wonderful people , I really hope to meet you all one day :)
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 06:22 PM

What a great experience for you Alty. Our family here is so warm and caring. I am thankful for you and for all my friends and family here. You and others have made me, one who is not much of a joiner, feel very loved and welcome. I appreciate each of you... too numerous to mention all who have shown me such kindness but thank you! :)
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 06:33 PM

I love all of you so very much, yes, love. I just can't believe how much I care about people I've never met face to face. It's amazing to me.

You may not know this, or maybe you do, I'm a very cynical person, I don't give my trust easily, I don't let people into my heart easily, but you all managed to find a way in.

You all mean so much to me.

Not that long ago one of my friends told me that I gave this site too much credit, that I didn't know any of you, that you aren't really my friends. To him it isn't a possibility to befriend someone you've never met. I wish he could understand, but until you been there, done that, you never will.

Hubby has never been on this site as a member, but he knows about all of you, I talk about you guys all the time. M's sweetness, his loving caring heart. Rebbie, the lady who never ceases to amaze me. MommaC, the women who reminds me so much of my mother. Starby, someone who is always there for me. Sneezy, the kid who says I'm old. Stringer and Biggie, KBC, HC, and so many more. All of you are in my heart, I'm so glad you found a way in. :)

Tears again, but happy ones, I love you all so very much! :)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 15, 2008, 06:40 PM

I feel the same as Alty. I think of you all as my friends and family. I enjoy our chats on AMHD and on the phone. If I am sad, one or more of you are there in a flash to help me feel better. If I'm mad, you make me laugh. If I'm in a silly mood, one of you is always there to make fun of me... LOL!. and laugh with me. I don't know what I would do without you guys, and I don't want to find out. I wish all of us could be in the same room for C'mas, but I'll know we'll all be popping in here to celebrate with each other! :)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Don't forget our Starty girl, Joe, Spidey... now who am I forgetting? I know you didn't mean to Alty. If anyone was forgotten, we sure don't mean to. :)

Edit: Almost forgot Unky! Oops!
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 06:55 PM

We never forget, but there are so many names on that list it's hard to remember all of them when writing with tears in your eyes! ;)

I just can't believe M did this, I really can't. He's such a sweetie, all of you are! :)
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Dec 15, 2008, 07:47 PM

Awww... so sweet... that's the aussie way... :)

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

Oi Oi Oi!!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 08:27 PM

UHOH,this is an emo thread.Now I am scared.

I was on when alty first came in,I was just a couple of months old then(site age... )and had not really had any connection with her at that time.We were both in a kind of virgin shell(so to speak)(or maybe it was just me?I don't remember,I blame the meds... :p right A? )

Only in the last month or so have I found her personality quite... refreshing,honest,assertive when necessary,heart felt a lot of the time,and yes,the cynical, smart arse, flirty,rambunctious,friendly,wow this could take a long time:)

You all get the point.

A friend I probably won't share time with other than online.Between alty and starby(two sweeties from above, OK Canada is above Illinois... )There are few who I have connected with so... well.

Gratitude for the friends online is a new idea,our parents couldn't even fathom this kind of friendship.

Our children will have even more things which will amaze us.

I am glad to have friends on AMHD,I feel safe here,judge not lest ye... you know,and even those embarrassing posts,those where we admit our shortcomings and dirty little secrets,we don't lose respect for the other(hopefully... :p )we instead grow to love the honesty and open up even more..

Friends make friends.

Happy holidays, Friends.

KBC(aka.kenster,aka MUDD)
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 09:23 AM

Awww... so sweet.

I was thinking the same thing, Alty... So appreciative for everyone... My girls (you, Starby, Starty), the guys (M, Sir String-Man, my Sneezy, KBC) and was just soooo thankful.

I love us! :D
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 09:29 AM

Aaaahhhhh so sweet I have a few gift angels here at amhd I also have a few from a couple of other sites one guy I have been talking to for 8 years now and I also talk to his 87 year old mother who is always sending Millie the most amazing curious george things.
    The internet is a fantastic place to be it makes me smile every day as well as occasionally making me frown but hell we have to take the good with the bad right ;)
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 09:44 AM

This is a brilliant tribute to amhd, I don't know where id be if id never have met some of the people I've met on here, they've helped me so much, I really didn't deserve to have met such wonderful people and I hope that I can make it up to them one day. (they know who they are) :)
    Pets Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 09:58 AM

Unless you are a part of something like this you just can't understand, can you?

Really, I never thought I'd be stupid enough to be honest and forthcoming with a bunch of people I will never meet. Let's face it, the internet can be a scary place, meeting people online and giving them info is not recommended. I did hesitate but darnit, you all dragged me in kicking and screaming.

I stopped in, asked a question and actually left, never planning to return. Then around 2 months later I get a notification by email "You haven't been by in a while, why not stop in, see if there are some questions you can answer". Okay, what the heck, I had a bit of time on my hands. I had to request a new password because I had forgotten mine, but then I came on, answered a few questions, posted a fun thread, met a few people and voilą, here I am, and I'm not leaving. Don't make me leave, please let me stay. :)

I love this place, it means more to me than I want to admit, darnit, I think I just admitted it. ;)

Hail to AMHD! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My website [ 3 Answers ]

I just wanted people to know about my new blog site. My Whimsical Musings Take a peek, comment.

Looking for a website [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website or I really perfer a telephone number where I can check the interstate road condition and weather as I am traveling on the highways. Any tips on how to do that will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search